Shift cable adjustment. Brass barrel pinned to cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

atd1984

Cadet
1996 mercruiser 5.7l 350 shift cable barrel seems to be pinned to the shift cable threads. how do you adjust a shift cable with a fixed barrel? I have been looking for information on this for along time and cant seem to come up with anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Shift cable adjustment. Brass barrel pinned to cable

Which cable are you trying to adjust, the one that runs from the helm to the engine shift plate....

or

the one that runs from the shift plate on the engine to the bellhousing?

and which end of the cable end are you trying to adjust?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

The cable end with the brass barrel goes to the shifter, and is not adjustable. The cable end with the black plastic barrel with the eyelet is the sterndrive end. If you have an alpha, set it to 6 inches center to center.

atd1984

Cadet

so i need to adjust the top cable?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

That's the lower shift cable. The tube should be threaded. What are you trying to do?

atd1984

Cadet

shifter doesnt want to shift out of reverse without giving it an extra nudge. Shifting into forward doesnt want to take without grinding gears. Which cable do i need to adjust? I thought it was the bottom cable but like i said theres no adjustment to the barrel. someone told me that was the cable i need to adjust.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Replace the lower shift cable. Check your idle speed. And make sure the shift interrupt is working. Chances are your cable is long worn out and somebody unhooked the shift interrupt.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Chances are that Jason is spot on....lower shift cable stretches ard binds in the outer tube and it needs replaced.

GO up to the top of I/O forum from DonS and look up how to adjust the cable...It will give you a better idea of what your dealing with.

atd1984

Cadet

shiftcable2.jpgmy shift cable looks like this. this is not my exact cable but this is what it looks like. the barrel has these indents and doesnt seem to move. im pretty sure an adjustment would fix the problem. Is this barrel suppose to move?

atd1984

Cadet

my shift interupter switchs works. i can feel it working when i shift into neutral.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

So why are you trying to make any kind of adjustment? Yes, that brass barrel is supposed to turn freely.
If your interested I have some spares ,remove the black plastic end by loosening the 2 small square head screws and unscrew the tube from the core.

Last edited:

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

I can tell you this.... My 99 305 was doing the exact same thing, the shift interrupter was stuck on the shift plate.

repaired that shifts fine now... but I tell ya I cannot detect the engine stumble when the interrupter engages...

Have you visually observed the SIS operate when in the water?

atd1984

Cadet

when shifting from reverse into neutral the engine wants to stall out. sometimes it actually salls out. when in the neutral position it does not want to come out of reverse. i have to give it an extra nudge to actually get it to come out of gear. There also seems to be too much play in the cable shifting into forward. the gears will grind. I try to shift it firmly into forward and ive got too much throttle. it just seems to be sloppy going into forward. something needs to be adjusted somewhere.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Just looking at that photo you have in the first post I can see that the lower shift cable rear anchor pin is at the top of the slot. It should be at the bottom, or it will be difficult to come out of reverse... Go to the stickies at the top of the forums and find my videos. There is one there for adjusting the lower shift cable... Follow that and it should solve your problems.

Chris.....

atd1984

Cadet

achris can you send me a link to the video, im not sure where to look for the sticky. Thanks!

The "Adults Only sticky" is at the beginning of this forum. Click on it and then Miscellaneous Mercruiser Information. Scroll down you'll see the videos.....

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did somethign change with the new shift cables? I have this exact same problem. This is off a brand new gimbal assembly manufactured early 2014. The barrel is "crimped" onto the threads intentionally by Mercruiser. I'll get a picture.

It's way off and I have no idea how to adjust it.

@atd1984: what did you end up doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.