Chunk of Cavitation Plate Broke Off

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I put my 1984 Sea Ray cuddy in the water for the first time this season. Enroute to the marina via the Ohio River (about 10 miles), a chunk of the cavitation plate of the MR-1 outdrive cracked and broke off. The section is about 10 inches long and the missing part starts at the "fin" anode at the rear of the cavitation plate and runs forward in a oblong curve to the left. When the cavitation chunk departed, I thought I had hit something submerged, but I think the couple of thumps I heard was the chunk hitting the bottom of the swim platform. If I did hit something, it didn't damage the prop or the skeg at all.

Here's my question: As part of the summerization, I changed the anodes. Is it possible I tightened the "fin" anode too tightly and caused the crack? Is it possible that I did hit something that broke the cavitation plate, but didn't damage the prop or skeg? Or is this an artifact of a 30 year-old piece of aluminum?

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: Chunk of Cavitation Plate Broke Off

Was someone boarding the craft using the vent plate as step to get into the boat.??? Pics would be help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Chunk of Cavitation Plate Broke Off

I put my 1984 Sea Ray cuddy in the water for the first time this season. Enroute to the marina via the Ohio River (about 10 miles), a chunk of the cavitation plate of the MR-1 outdrive cracked and broke off. The section is about 10 inches long and the missing part starts at the "fin" anode at the rear of the cavitation plate and runs forward in a oblong curve to the left. When the cavitation chunk departed, I thought I had hit something submerged, but I think the couple of thumps I heard was the chunk hitting the bottom of the swim platform. If I did hit something, it didn't damage the prop or the skeg at all.

Here's my question: As part of the summerization, I changed the anodes. Is it possible I tightened the "fin" anode too tightly and caused the crack? Is it possible that I did hit something that broke the cavitation plate, but didn't damage the prop or skeg? Or is this an artifact of a 30 year-old piece of aluminum?

Ayuh,.... That's My guess,.... They don't just break for no reason,....