Steering cable replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwilson0824

Cadet
1987 Four Winns 210 horizon
350 v8 Mercruiser w/ Alpha one MR

My steering seems stiff out of the water. I'll be taking it to the lake for a test drive this Saturday but I'm guessing I'll be having to replace the cable soon since I'm sure it's the original cable.

Question: how hard is it to replace the cable typically? And how do you find out which one you need and what type?

I have been searching the web and YouTube for videos and instructions, but haven't been able to find any steering cable replacement on runabouts.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Steering cable replacement

1987 Four Winns 210 horizon
350 v8 Mercruiser w/ Alpha one MR

My steering seems stiff out of the water. I'll be taking it to the lake for a test drive this Saturday but I'm guessing I'll be having to replace the cable soon since I'm sure it's the original cable.

Question: how hard is it to replace the cable typically? And how do you find out which one you need and what type?

I have been searching the web and YouTube for videos and instructions, but haven't been able to find any steering cable replacement on runabouts.

What do you think?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Before ya go buyin' parts,...

Loosen the Big nut, 'n pull the cable outa the aluminum tube at the transom,....

They tend to corrode inside the tube, causin' drag,...

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bondo do you mean that by unhooking the transom end of the cable you are just able to pull it out without unhooking the wheel end?

Bondo

Staff member

Bondo do you mean that by unhooking the transom end of the cable you are just able to pull it out without unhooking the wheel end?

Ayuh,.... Just pull the aft end of the cable, Outa the aluminum tube, clean it, 'n lube it,....

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

Kwilson0824.....try cleaning like Bondo says and then grease. I just replaced mine about a month ago. My steering was very tough to turn, I had to do it with two hands. I have a 21ft open bow boat, with a mercruiser/alpha one with power steering assist. To do it all, it roughly took about an hour and change. I took the cable out, unbolt from under your steering wheel, then unbolt from your transom. I believe you need to pull two pins on your steering arm, then unscrew the large bolt. I was able to get to my cable fairly easy on the side, I had to cut all the zip ties and then pulled from under my steering wheel. Once it was out you will have a number stamped on the plastic sleeve. This is the # you will need when ordering your new cable. I ordered a teleflex and the cost was around 150.00 shipped free. Its fairly easy....tight in some spots but nothing that should take to long.

Smoke33

Cadet
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am in the process of changing my steering cable on a 1997 Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha 1. If I am understanding correctly I need to undo the large nut in the picture. If that is correct how do I do so without having the whole thing just spin? I locked onto the area to the left of the nut and the whole piston with the threads on the right spins as I turn the nut. I don’t see anything to lock onto to hold the part with the threads in place. Thanks

Attachments

• photo331460.jpg
    photo331460.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 5

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you start a new thread of your own instead of tagging a thread that's been inactive for over 6 years, you might get some answers.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.