Alpha 1 gen 2 upper - need to change lower drive shaft oil seals

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
I checked the factory service manual and am still unsure. I think I need to remove the shaft/u-joint/bearing assembly and then slide out the vertical gears. The question is can the lower seals be removed and re installed without removing the bearing at the bottom of the upper unit? Seals are changed from the top side correct? I would hate to do all of this if it was done from the bottom :). Hopefully I have described this with the correct terms.

Also, Is it 1 seal or 2? It is 2 for the later serial numbers but may be 1 for my earlier one.

I removed and changed the upper oil seal last season along with the gimbal bearing and all bellows so hopefully this will go fast. Thanks

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alpha 1 gen 2 upper - need to change lower drive shaft oil seals

A GEN II uses 2 seals in the upper uint. Need to remove the vertical gear but not the race.
Can you clarify this :I removed and changed the upper oil seal last season along with the gimbal bearing . do you mean the carrier seal behind theU joints?

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alpha 1 gen 2 upper - need to change lower drive shaft oil seals

Can you clarify this :I removed and changed the upper oil seal last season along with the gimbal bearing . do you mean the carrier seal behind theU joints?

Correct, I changed the seal behind the u-joints. Thanks