Mercmonitor and analog trim sender

divljan

Recruit
I have Mercruiser MAG 350 engine with Bravo Three on my 2012 Regal 2300 with analog gauges.
I have purchased and installed (by myself) level 2 Mercmonitor by simply plugging
the smart craft cable to engine,and to mercruiser junction box and Mercmonitor,and
planing to hook up Garmin GPSMAP 421s over NMEA 2000 to Mercmonitor in order to
have all info on fuel economy on my mercmonitor and gpsmap.

I now have reading on fuel consumption,temperature and stuff,and gonna get info on
speed over ground via GPS,but i have no info on trim.

Im not sure is trim on my engine digital or analog,the gauge is definitely analog,
and trim sender is connected via 2 wires to the gauge.

Is there any chance to connect existing trim sender to smart craft junction box,engine or something like that to get trim level on my mercmonitor? Is there any converter assembly
for converting analog trim sender to digital,and does 2012 MAG 350 have analog or digital trim sender by default?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Mercmonitor and analog trim sender

I have Mercruiser MAG 350 engine on my 2012 Regal 2300 with analog gauges.
I have purchased and installed (by myself) level 2 Mercmonitor by simply plugging
the smart craft cable to engine,and to mercruiser junction box and Mercmonitor,and
planing to hook up Garmin GPSMAP 421s over NMEA 2000 to Mercmonitor in order to
have all info on fuel economy on my mercmonitor and gpsmap.

I now have reading on fuel consumption,temperature and stuff,and gonna get info on
speed over ground via GPS,but i have no info on trim.

Im not sure is trim on my engine digital or analog,the gauge is definitely analog,
and trim sender is connected via 2 wires to the gauge.

Is there any chance to connect existing trim sender to smart craft junction box,engine or something like that to get trim level on my mercmonitor? Is there any converter assembly
for converting analog trim sender to digital,and does 2012 MAG 350 have analog or digital trim sender by default?

:welcome: to iboats divljan

The smart craft system is plug-n-play but must have the appropriate sender in the drive. The trim sender will probably need to be changed. It has a single plug with 3 wires.
SmartCraft FAQs | Storage & Maintenance SmartCraft FAQs | Mercury Marine

divljan

Recruit

I was hoping someone had the same problem,since I have read something like it is only about wiring,and that bravo three comes with digital trim sender already.

And I have found some trim sender converter
Mercury Boat Trim Sender Conversion Module Inst. Kit | Great Lakes Skipper
but I can find no info about is this used to convert analog sender to use with digital instruments,
or used for adapting digital sender to use with analog instruments.

It would be much easier and cheaper to connect converter to the analog sender,than to install a new digital sender

Fun Times

Staff member

Hi there, Do you know if you have a bundle of wires near the rear of the engine. One of the wires may be orange in color with a tag on it that say digital trim? and another wire that says analog trim.

Being a newer engine model you may not have the orange wire labeled digital trim and you may have a 3 wire connector plug with A (red wire), B (white wire), C (Blue wire) on it. The 3 wire plug would be for the newer style digital sending units.

If you have the orange wire try what these guys did. Bayliner Owners Club - BOC Forum - Topic: MercMonitor Trim Position Sender (1/2) and BoatUS Club House Messageboards: Merc-Monitor

Now if you don't have the orange wire mentioned above, you may be able to use the old style sending unit on the starboard side of the ring to operate the smartcraft digital gauge while you may need a digital sending unit on the portside of the gimbal ring like mentioned in here, post #3.Engine Sensor alarming SSX 276 Mercruiser Bravo 3 Seacore - Midwest U.S. - Chaparral Boats Owners Club
Sterndrives.Com Mercruiser Information Board