Power Trim Fluid

I have a Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha One. I have had to replace one of the trim hoses on the boat, and now I have to refill the fluid. Is there a certain type of fluid that is made for those power trims, or what type of fluid can I use?

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: Power Trim Fluid

Manual recommends 10w30 oil.

Rgds
Eric

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It's a pretty simple pump. If you can tell what was in there before, I would recommend putting back what was in it. (Is it honey colored? Red? Clear?) Could be motor oil, transmission fluid, or power trim fluid.

Fun Times

Staff member

Either or could be used but your trim system would be better served using power trim and tilt fluid, hydraulic fluid or ATF vs engine oil as engine oil being thicker has a tendency to bog down the trim system making it run noticeably slower to trim both ways. In cold water, you may notice it even more.

Hope this helps, good luck.:)

thumpar

Admiral

Unless you emptied it out run what is in it already.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

5-30wt oil. Or. 0-20 wt. Dont think u will find much diff in weight between. "Hydrolic" and 0-20wt. Except 5$ diff

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going with Pennzoil power trim and tilt fluid, and it is working perfectly. I had no idea what was in it, due to the fact that it was all drained out because of it having water in it. It was the color of cappuccino, when I drained it.