Sealer on riser gaskets?

chilltech

Seaman Apprentice
Hello group,

I am in the process of installing a conversion kit for the one piece to two piece exhaust on my 2000 4.3l v6. Got all merc stuff. I thought I read some where that sealer is not used any more on the manifold to riser joint gasket. The instructions say to use perfect seal but I'm wondering if they are just not updated yet. The gaskets in the kit are silver color and look like graphite. Also should I remove the "E" coating from the mating surfaces or leave it alone? The parts are brand new and are in perfect condition. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks'
Rich.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sealer on riser gaskets?

you do not remove anything from the new gaskets, should you wish to do anything ,take a good flat file and dress both surfaces flat. new does not mean flat.
Personally ,I use Perma-Tex Aviation sealant

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I flat file the paint off, 'n put the gaskets on dry,....

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you also file the manifold to engine surface? I bought OEM parts for my upgrade.

Bondo

Staff member

Do you also file the manifold to engine surface? I bought OEM parts for my upgrade.

Nope,.... It ain't practical to file the head,... the manifold is up to you,....

That surface still needs to be Clean, but it's a wide sealin' surface, 'n only seals exhaust gases,...

The manifold/ riser seals exhaust, And water, And outside air,...
The inner, exhaust to water sealin' surface, of course, the Most important,...

Volphin

Lieutenant

I've always put them on dry too. I've never had any perfect seal around my garage. What is that stuff anyway?

blkzoe

Seaman

I've heard of folks employing a hi temp RTV on the riser/manifold joint. While agreeing that the joint surfaces should be dry and, clean, and flat; that isn't always the case. Somtimes you can clean-up the surfaces, but that still doesn't cure all the ills of pitting, corrosion, etc. If I had an unlimited budget, sure, new parts. Unfortunately, we all must live within budgetary constraints.

Permatex RTV RED

OEM specified. Formulated for hi-temp applications, or heavy-duty use (such as towing, etc.). Replaces almost any cut gasket by making reliable “formed-in-place” gaskets that resist cracking, shrinking and migrating caused by thermal cycling. Coats pre-cut gaskets to increase reliability. Temperature range -65?F to 650?F (-54?C to 343?C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids. - See more at: Gasket Makers : Permatex? High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Technically speaking Mercruisers go on dry. Volvo wants you to use a product called copper coat. Although for many years Volvos went on dry as well. Personally I would not use copper coat on a Mercruiser as the gasket material is different, and I don't know how it would react.

But on a Mercruiser, as long as the surfaces are true, and there are no deep scratches, and you use the correct gaskets, and the bolts and thread holds are clean, and you actually torque things down with a torque wrench. There is no reason it would not seal, and gasket sealer would not be necessary.

And definitely don't use ATV on these. That's inviting a leak.

On one last note. Personally I would not overthink this to much. It's not like this is a head gasket and holding back hundreds to thousands of PSI, all that hits that joint is 15 psi of water pressure tops.

Last edited:

blkzoe

Seaman

1. "and you actually torque things down with a torque wrench" - Great comment. I can't believe how many folks I've seeen re-assembling automotive/marine parts WITHOUT a torque wrench. I have three different ones (ranges) and employ all three.

2. Another comment on RTV. I've seen some folks employ the copper based RTV on aluminum parts that are exposed to water. ist verboten ! Electrolysis issues; you'll enhance the corrosion.