How to get flapper out of 4.3L pipe, without pulling bell housing?

ShoalSurvivor

Petty Officer 1st Class
Flapper broke off and 1/2 is stuck in-between the Y and the separated section of the pipe, just before the upward bend.
photo.JPG
I can move it freely about 4" farther back from where it is now, but it is too wide to get any further past that, either way.

Vacuum - nope!
Long flexible grabber - nope!
Sheer will power - hope!
push with plumbing snake - nope (yes, very carefully navigated into the pipe, so as not to injure or even touch the bellows/bell housing.)

Hmm.. maybe some lube???? Is WD-40 safe to spray into the pipe? Other choices?
My wife can reach it from the top, but can't get a grip on it and she was not able to get mini pliers on it...
Maybe a 1/2" copper tube, bent, will get the force needed to push it from the aft?

I really do not want to pull the housing bell for a number of reasons... but as a last resort, I could probably grab it with a pair of super long needle-nose pliers and yank it through. (but I would not yank it though the bellows).

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How to get flapper out of 4.3L pipe, without pulling bell housing?

Flapper broke off and 1/2 is stuck in-between the Y and the separated section of the pipe, just before the upward bend.

I can move it freely about 4" farther back from where it is now, but it is too wide to get any further past that, either way.

Vacuum - nope!
Long flexible grabber - nope!
Sheer will power - hope!
push with plumbing snake - nope (yes, very carefully navigated into the pipe, so as not to injure or even touch the bellows/bell housing.)

Hmm.. maybe some lube???? Is WD-40 safe to spray into the pipe? Other choices?
My wife can reach it from the top, but can't get a grip on it and she was not able to get mini pliers on it...
Maybe a 1/2" copper tube, bent, will get the force needed to push it from the aft?

I really do not want to pull the housing bell for a number of reasons... but as a last resort, I could probably grab it with a pair of super long needle-nose pliers and yank it through. (but I would not yank it though the bellows).

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Ayuh,.... Which style shutter is it,..?? is there a Hole in it anywhere,..??

A coathanger with a tight hook on the end, Might give ya enough leverage it get it out,....

You can use 'bout Any lube ya want,... Shouldn't hurt anything,...

Other than that, it's pull the motor, or pull the bell housin',...

ShoalSurvivor

Petty Officer 1st Class

no hole. Its got a rubber nub on one side, about 1/2" high, 3/4" diameter. I might be able to get a coat hanger on it from the rear, but I don't want to pull that through the bellows. Well, maybe I could... the bellows will flex a little and it's only rubber on rubber...
let me see if I can hook it.

ShoalSurvivor

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got it! Rope to compress the bell housing, wd-40, a bent copper tube from the top to push it farther out aft, a bent coathanger jig to slide under, behind and around it, and lastly, a new pair of 16" needle nose pliers.

whew!

thanks Bondo.

harleyman1975

Ensign

Congradulations Now you need to invent a tool kit to do this exact job and sell the idea to snap on!