Quicksilver Commander Controller Sticking

rad1026

Chief Petty Officer
1989 Chaparral 2100 SX with 5.7L. Took the boat out for the first time this season and I was having trouble getting the shifter in to neutral. The shifter moved fine when the engine was not running. Nice and smooth forward and reverse both in gear and out of gear. But when the engine was running it would get really difficult to move in to neutral. When I got the lever in to neutral it would take a while for the engine to go in to neutral, like the cam in the shifter was sticking and then finally releasing in to position. I removed the controller unit and took off the back plate and lubed the inside, as much as I could get to, and it seemed to help quite a bit. While I had it apart I tested the shift cable to make sure it was the controller that was sticking and not the cable. The grease inside the control unit was so old and hard I think it was just making things stick. When I put everything back together it still feels like its rubbing somewhere inside that is not allowing the lever to move freely. Should I take the whole thing apart and lube it properly with teflon grease as specified? I have the manual and it looks intricate but not impossible. Is it like a swiss watch and the whole thing is going to go flying when I take it apart or is it not too bad just follow the instructions? It sure seems like that is what needs to be done. Thanks!

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: Quicksilver Commander Controller Sticking

Did it work right last season? If you were having trouble then i would suspect it's time for a new lower shift cable.....If not then prob in your controller.

Disconect your controller cable at the engine and then try it....

rad1026

Chief Petty Officer

It was starting to stick last season. I had the lower shift cable done two seasons ago. I know that doesn't mean much, but it doesn't have many hours on it.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The shifter moved fine when the engine was not running. Nice and smooth forward and reverse both in gear and out of gear. But when the engine was running it would get really difficult to move in to neutral.

Sounds like the shift interrupt switch is not working properly. The switch momentarily kills the engine in order for the outdrive dog clutch to disengage. With the engine running manually depress the switch and see if the engine dies. It should. If it doesn't then the switch is bad... or the wiring to it is bad or disconnected.

If the engines dies, then the switch is working correctly, but may need adjusted. Watch the switch while someone else shifts. You should see the switch engaging while the shifter is coming out of gear.

Last edited:

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

You should see the switch engaging while the shifter is coming out of gear.

But.... Remember, you need to be in the water to see this action. The interrupt switch does not activate unless there is a load on the prop (i.e., in water, under load).

I agree with the possibility of the interrupt switch either out of adjustment or not working, based on your symptom of the shift working "fine when the engine was not running".

Best of luck!

rad1026

Chief Petty Officer

hmm, I checked the lower shift cable last night and it slides nice and smooth. You guys are talking about the switch on the engine shift plate right? I rotated that cam assembly last night also and it did not seem to bind up in any way. The roller sits nicely in the cam detente when the engine is in neutral and seems to depress the kill switch when the cam is rotated. I am sure it is adjusted properly. I am not sure I see how that assembly would bind up. Give me more information on how that works so I can picture it in my head. Thanks for the replies.

rad1026

Chief Petty Officer

I found this, "If the boat has no neutral, when you try to shift to neutral it fights you and passes from fwd to rev or rev to fwd, then you have a problem of a sticking shift cable or a sticking shift arm and roller on the upper shift shaft. This adjustment is addressed in part two of this page below.

The gears in the outdrive are undercut so once together they stick together if there is a prop load(in the water). When the forward cable tries to move the lower shift cable it fights the action and is felt as a resistance on the shift handle. Pressure on the lower shift cable shifts the arm that trips the easy shift switch, thus the engine starts to die. One second later during the lapse in h.p. the gears let go, then the switch resets and the engine regains power. The whole process takes only a second and the engine recovers with only a hesitation, which you hear (whooomp)."

That sure seems to describe my issue.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I'm not suggesting anything is binding - simply that the switch is not working correctly. Did you test it? When the switch is pressed or engaged, it grounds out the coil and kills the engine. It is designed to make the engine "stumble" momentarily to allow the outdrive to disengage from either forward or reverse. With the engine running, simply press the switch arm and see if the engine dies. If it doesn't, then something is wrong.

Don has a good write up in the "Adults Only" section. (Or you can click here)

rad1026

Chief Petty Officer

right fishermark, I get it now. I did some more reading also and I think I have a better grasp. Yes, that sure seems to be the problem. Either the switch itself or the adjustment. I will read more, thanks for the link and the help.

rad1026

Chief Petty Officer

finally had a chance to get back to the boat this weekend. I took a good look at the shift interrupt switch. Placing the shift lever in forward gear and then advancing the throttle had almost no effect on the shift interrupt switch. I pulled out my trusty manual and went through the adjustment procedure. Hopefully this will fix my problem. I won't know until I get her in the water, but it sure seems to be functioning the way it should be now. How does i get out of adjustment like that?

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

finally had a chance to get back to the boat this weekend. I took a good look at the shift interrupt switch. Placing the shift lever in forward gear and then advancing the throttle had almost no effect on the shift interrupt switch. I pulled out my trusty manual and went through the adjustment procedure. Hopefully this will fix my problem. I won't know until I get her in the water, but it sure seems to be functioning the way it should be now. How does i get out of adjustment like that?

The Cable stretches...Could have not been set right to begin with.
Good Luck and let us know if that works.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

finally had a chance to get back to the boat this weekend. I took a good look at the shift interrupt switch. Placing the shift lever in forward gear and then advancing the throttle had almost no effect on the shift interrupt switch. I pulled out my trusty manual and went through the adjustment procedure

The shift interupter ONLY WORKS COMING OUT OF GEAR
Adjusting the switch requires bending the switch arm, is that what you mean? If your stalling when shifting out of gear, the switch is working properly.
Damaged shift cable., internally worn shift cable, improperly installed cable, corrosion in drive shift mechanism

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

And...only works when there is a load on the prop....i.e, IN THE WATER.

Exactly. You will not be able to do anything, (other than test and see if the switch works by manually depressing it), until you are on the water.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Actually there is a test you can do to see if the switch is engaging at the proper time....

shiftinterruptswitchadjustment.jpg