Alpha one cover bearing?

flaveroo

Cadet
Hi all, thanks for reading. I have a 1996 sea ray 19'. 4.3l with Alpha 1 leg.

I got it a year ago, runs great. Over last summer it seemed to develop a vibration when in gear. Couldn't tell for sure so I ran it for the season. Seemed fine, but still suspected something in the leg.

So getting ready for summer and fired it up in the driveway. There is a bit of noise/vibration, almost a slight clunk coming from the leg(in gear, forward and reverse) . Seems to be right under the upper cover.

Thought it might be ujoints, so have pulled the leg off. U joints look new, and no play that I can tell. The previous owner just had the bellows replaced, and it looks like the ujoints were also replaced or at least freshly greased.

So, there is a bearing right under the upper cover (held on by 4 bolts). Which does seem to have some play.

Just wondering if that could be the noise? And if so, how to pull it off?

Cheers,

Jason

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alpha one cover bearing?

that bearing cant be checked for looseness once the cap is removed?

Last edited by a moderator:

flaveroo

Cadet

Hi, I've got the cap off, and there is some wiggle in the bearing. Mostly up and down though, which likely wouldn't happen with the cap on. Is that what you mean?

Bondo

Staff member

Hi, I've got the cap off, and there is some wiggle in the bearing. Mostly up and down though, which likely wouldn't happen with the cap on. Is that what you mean?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... That's exactly what's bein' said,....

What did the drained oil look like,..??
Any metal dust or bits,..??

alldodge

Staff member

What does the gimbal bearing look and feel like?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Bent propshaft/damaged prop (around the labyrinth seal area)? It's the only thing NOT turning when you're not in gear. If the problem is only when in gear, look at the only thing that changes between being in gear (either forward or reverse) and neutral, and that is ONLY the propshaft.

Chris.....

flaveroo

Cadet

Thanks for the replies, great community here.

I haven't drained the oil yet! Just wanted to check ujoints, but silly not to check everything now that it's off, so will drain and report.

Gimbal bearing looks good and no play that I can see. Anything else to look for there?

Good to know about the prop shaft, makes sense. Any suggestions on diagnosing that?

Thanks again,

Jason

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the replies, great community here.

I haven't drained the oil yet! Just wanted to check ujoints, but silly not to check everything now that it's off, so will drain and report.

Gimbal bearing looks good and no play that I can see. Anything else to look for there?

Good to know about the prop shaft, makes sense. Any suggestions on diagnosing that?

Thanks again,

Jason

Ayuh,... Ya gotta stick yer fingers right in there, 'n Turn the bearin' to make sure it turns as smooth a butter,...

While yer hands in there, Thoroughly inspect the rubber bellows, inside, 'n out, for abrasions, wear, crackin, or rottin',...

Fun Times

Staff member

Hi all, thanks for reading. I have a 1996 sea ray 19'. 4.3l with Alpha 1 leg.
Hi there Jason! There seems to be a little bit of confusion of what drive model you have as there is a difference in terminology. Alpha one drive would have been an older drive made around mid 80's till late 1990. Since your boats is a 1996, that should indicate you'd have a Gen 2 alpha stern drive.

Do you have your stern drive serial number handy to help identify what you have there?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

...Good to know about the prop shaft, makes sense. Any suggestions on diagnosing that?

Jason

Remove the prop. Run the engine on flushers and drop it in gear. Watch the end of the shaft and make sure it's turning dead straight. Or, pull the prop and use a dial indicator and check for straightness. Shouldn't be more than 0.006" out of straight.

Chris.....