1980 Chris Craft Scorpian 210/ Mercruiser 260/ Shift Cable Replacement

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
Okay everyone I have the above boat from a buddy of mine and currently selling it for him but to my avail, and it has been almost 5 months now, the boat is not going any place. I decided to do some work on it in hopes it will sell easier because if I can Sea trial for the buyers then it is likely to sell.

So my problem is the shift cable boot outside on the transom area is cracked and letting water into bilge. Yes very dangerous situation to even think of putting it in the water at this point. I have the work around knowledge of boats as I have posted previous threads on this site. I also have the more than basic mechanical skills at this point so I don't believe the work will scare me away.

What I need is a listing of what tools, parts to complete the job and any walk through guide that is the simplest but not half *** write up so that I mess something up and miss a step. I know there has been many threads on here probably for this particular subject but found it easier to start one of my own and the members can link to other helpful previous threads.

I also understand the bellows and such should get replaced while I'm doing this job so could you explain and provide to me a complete listing of everything I will need and also where to order the parts from?

Thanks.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1980 Chris Craft Scorpian 210/ Mercruiser 260/ Shift Cable Replacement

I know there will be speciality tools needed such as a 1/4"-18 NPS High Speed Steel Straight Pipe Tap because I will need to upgrade the cable to the newer style so to speak. If I'm incorrect then please let me know so things like this and all the necessary parts I'm looking to recieve a list of.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Is this an Alpha? You will need the bell housing in tool - or a 1/2" allen wrench works as well I'm told. You will either need a special tool to remove and install the shift cable nut - or make one yourself. I made one by welding two deep well sockets together. I undertstand you can also simply unscrew the plastic tube from the end of the cable and use a regular thin wall deep well socket to install it.

(If all you are doing is replacing the shift cable and boot, then I guess you do not even need to remove the bell housing, so the pin tool is not needed either now that I think about it).

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Hi CHawk: here is my suggestions. Don't just replace the shift boot..., do the whole shift cable. Next, you wont know what you will need for repair until you pull the drive and look and see what you need. You may well Not need the tap you mentioned because the rear mounting of the shift cable could have been done on a previous shift cable repair.

You should check the serial number on the drive and post it also. Alpha 1 ? MC-1.

use OEM parts. Check the alignment and U joints while the drive is off. How long since impeller changed? gimbal bearing? other bellows? pressure test drive and put new drive oil in.

I know, it gets to be a lot, but If I were looking to buy a boat (or use it), I would feel way better if the seller told me all the things listed above had just been done. ditto for engine serial number and standard maintenance.

great place for the step by step is OEM manual, and some links found in Adult Only section, (also on YOU Tube).

good luck!

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone for the posts thus far. You asked about serial number so I did actually write this down and here is what I found.

5588754. Gimble Housing Serial

5620570. Drive Serial number

Numbers were tough to read so hopefully this helps to identify it if not I will take photos of the drive tomorrow

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

that should be a MC 1 outdrive. It should have a lifting eye on the top of the outdrive to be sure

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure I can quick google search this but what exactly is a lifting eye? This for my knowledge as well as anyone else who follows this thread.

So if it is a MC 1 outdrive is that easier to replace shift cable boot and cable along with any other items vs. a Alpha?

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

That being said for the MC-1 model what tools and parts will I need. Can someone provide me a link to the parts to include if better to buy a entire kit?

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

go to the adults only section at the top of this forum. Mercruiser info. to see lots of great info. and pic of MC-1 with top lifting eye.

not easier or harder than alpha......just some parts are differen. list of parts? ........take the drive off and see what you need ie. gimbal bearing good? bad? .......etc.

http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/miscellaneous-mercruiser-information-329915.html

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

84EdH: Thanks for that information....

Bt Doctur: Was that reference located in the adult section and just go to section 6?

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Okay I think I got everything or searched everything I will need, First Transom Seal Kit which includes shift boot and I'm locating the one that comes with cable as well, impeller water kit which includes everything and the prop removal tool and pivot drive removal tool something to that affect so if I need to remove bell housing I can. All in all total cost $250 and the original owner stated he will cover the costs as long as I do the work and take photos when I take boat out! So its incentive for me to fix and use it and then hopefully when the job is done and I get to fish on it a few times it will sell easier and I will keep reciepts for all the parts. My labor costs will be the use of the boat when done!

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

That sound about right? For all items I need?

Bondo

Staff member

That sound about right? For all items I need?

Ayuh,.... Sounds Good,... It only takes a 1, 1/6" wrench, 'n a screwdriver to pull the prop,...

'n for the pivot pin tool, just use a 1/2" allen drive wrench,...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Ya Don't need the pin wrench, just a 1/2" allen,...

That kit oughta work, it concerns me that the guys write up is evasive 'bout his branding,...

Why don't ya order yer parts from right here at iboats, their Sierra brand is Good parts,...
Somebody's gotta pay the rent 'round here,.... ;)

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry to bomb the thread with ebay but if you guys recommend some place else even from this site then I will order to contribute back to Iboats.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Bondo I see we were thinking the same thing at that moment....for the life of me when I do searches I can't find it here. Any help? I would want the transom kit with cable and impeller kit...any help