1989 4.3 with broken outboard starter ear on block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Gallant

Recruit
Hi, as a long time reader of this forum this is my first post. I have searched the forum and found various fixes for broken outboard starter ear broken off the block with replacing the block to be the best choice. My problem was self inflicted and I'm trying to minimize the cost of repair but not at the cost of reliability. I bought this 1989 Regal Sebring 195 with 4.3 Alpha one and the motor needed to be rebuilt, which I did. What I also did was ignored a hairline crack (I knew better) beside the outside starter bolt hole and the ear broke off after only a month. I found what looks to be a good alterative fix but I wanted some opinions from here as to if this is a reasonable idea. I hope this link works http://www.danchuk.com/images/Downloads/Instruction Sheets/10100.pdf . Thanks in advance and I hope I have followed forum rules.

P.S. The motor runs great when I can get it to turn over

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 4.3 with broken outboard starter ear on block

You would have to shorten the input shaft of the outdrive . Re-construct longer front motor mounts Seems like replacing the block is the better option.

Tom Gallant

Recruit
Re: 1989 4.3 with broken outboard starter ear on block

Thank you for responding, I appreciate the advice.

Tom Gallant

Recruit
This is a follow up to my original post. After weighing the two options I had, I reluctantly decided to go with the starter plate option. The starter plate was 1/4" thick which added to the distance between engine and input shaft so the shaft didn't require cutting. It did however push the engine ahead 1/4" which required turning the mounts slightly, re-drilling the holes and filling the old ones with epoxy. I do believe a new block would have been the better way to go but cost was the deciding factor. I ran the boat all summer with absolutely no issues and I will be taking it out for a ride this weekend. Total cost for repair was 135.00 for the starter plate kit and 30.00 for a 55 Chevy starter nose. Only time will tell if this was a permanent fix but so far so good.

alldodge

Staff member
Your input shaft is a 1/4 inch less inside the engine coupler, that's not much and glad it's working out. Just be easy on the throttle in hard turns when the shaft moves out a bit more.

Tom Gallant

Recruit
I never gave a thought to the movement of the input shaft while turning, that's good info. I'm pretty easy on it myself but my nephew used it for tubing for a few days at camp with no problems but I will certainly be mindful of that in the future, Thanks

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
In my experience giving a good tube ride is just about the most stress you can put on an engine/drive. Hopefully it holds up for you.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Same happened to me last spring. I decided to replace the motor. Hope this holds up for you.

baykrboy18

Recruit
I never gave a thought to the movement of the input shaft while turning, that's good info. I'm pretty easy on it myself but my nephew used it for tubing for a few days at camp with no problems but I will certainly be mindful of that in the future, Thanks
quick question Tom- how long did that last? I just experienced the same issue but the only difference is the block broke by the ear where the starter bolt goes. Just wanted to see the longevity of the resolution as I am about to install the plate this weekend. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.