Trim gauge/sending unit.

5.7 mercruiser with alpha 1 out drive. Trim gauge shows all the way up or all the way down. Adjustment or sendin unit replacement?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim gauge/sending unit.

most likely replacement , the wire wound resistor is damaged in the sender.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

5.7 mercruiser with alpha 1 out drive. Trim gauge shows all the way up or all the way down. Adjustment or sendin unit replacement?

Depends. Has it worked in the past, and has just stopped working (or someone has been working on them) or has it always been like that?

I just bought the boat. That is the only gauge that doesn't work properly. I usually trim by what feels right. But if it just needs adjustment I'll mess with it

agallant80

Commander

I would not worry about it. There are lots of people who trim by feel and sound. I have one and its off but I just ignore it.

alldodge

Staff member

I just bought the boat. That is the only gauge that doesn't work properly. I usually trim by what feels right. But if it just needs adjustment I'll mess with it

Most don't use the gauge, just trim by feel even if it works. Start with adjusting the sender first, it's on the starboard side. Probably need an impact screw drive to break it loose. If it bounces quick up and down quickly the sender is bad.