1985 Mercruiser 305 possibly water in the oil.

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, I was running the other day, and noticed a small water leak on the starboard exaust manifold. Bad gasket.
I replaced it, but while doing so, i noticed the spark plugs were coming out wet. Today I checked engine oil, and it was grayish/cream in color. I changed oil and filter. Question is, could the water leak in the exaust manifold have let water into the oil and cylinder heads? I havent run it since, but was hoping to go out in the water tomorrow...

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1985 Mercruiser 305 possibly water in the oil.

I would also run it a limited amount of time just to heat it up to operating temp and change the oil again to make sure all the water is out.

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would also run it a limited amount of time just to heat it up to operating temp and change the oil again to make sure all the water is out.

I dread changing the oil on this thing. I always end up spilling some in the bilge. Can anyone share your methods ir equipment you use to change oil in an inboard with the oil pan all the way down there??? Thanks.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

heat it up and suck it out the tube with a vac pump.

Bondo

Staff member

I dread changing the oil on this thing. I always end up spilling some in the bilge. Can anyone share your methods ir equipment you use to change oil in an inboard with the oil pan all the way down there??? Thanks.

Ayuh,.... Just how much over-full was the oil, before ya changed it,..??

Ya changed it once already,... Take it out, 'n Run it,...

Once up to temp, the little remainin' water will steam off, outa the oil,...