350 Mercruiser grabs a ring after replacing electrical fuel pump with mechanical!

Blatchy

Recruit
I have a 1989 350 Mercruiser with a Rochester quadrajet carby. When I bought it, it had a Mr Gasket electric fuel pump. It started and ran very well until last weekend, when it started hesitating under load.
I found out that the inline fuel filter was blocked, but in the process, I pulled the positive lead out of the fuel pump.
I was a little concerned about having a electrical fuel pump sitting in the bilge where it would get wet, so I thought I would replace the pump with a mechanical pump for more reliability. Boy I was wrong. I installed a Speedmaster pump, that was rated at 6.5psi.
It started and ran in the shed.
When we put it on the water, it started fine, but as my son was letting it idle to warm up, it died and would not start again. At first I thought it must of been starving for fuel.
I got in, and eventually got it started with full throttle. It would then idle for a bit, but would cut out unless you accelerated.
The water was so smooth we didn't want to miss out, so we still skied. The ran fine under power, but would die at idle, and then be hard to start, requiring full throttle, like it was flooded.
We had just had our last ski, and went to start the boat to take it to the ramp, and there was a terrible grinding coming from the engine.
It sounds like it has grabbed a ring!
My theory is the new mechanical pump is putting out too much fuel pressure that has flooded the motor every time at idle, washing the oil from the cylinder walls, eventually causing it to grab a ring! Sound likely?

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 350 Mercruiser grabs a ring after replacing electrical fuel pump with mechanical!

sounds more like a hydro-lock issue

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 350 Mercruiser grabs a ring after replacing electrical fuel pump with mechanical!

I have a 1989 350 Mercruiser with a Rochester quadrajet carby. When I bought it, it had a Mr Gasket electric fuel pump. It started and ran very well until last weekend, when it started hesitating under load.
I found out that the inline fuel filter was blocked, but in the process, I pulled the positive lead out of the fuel pump.
I was a little concerned about having a electrical fuel pump sitting in the bilge where it would get wet, so I thought I would replace the pump with a mechanical pump for more reliability. Boy I was wrong. I installed a Speedmaster pump, that was rated at 6.5psi.
It started and ran in the shed.
When we put it on the water, it started fine, but as my son was letting it idle to warm up, it died and would not start again. At first I thought it must of been starving for fuel.
I got in, and eventually got it started with full throttle. It would then idle for a bit, but would cut out unless you accelerated.
The water was so smooth we didn't want to miss out, so we still skied. The ran fine under power, but would die at idle, and then be hard to start, requiring full throttle, like it was flooded.
We had just had our last ski, and went to start the boat to take it to the ramp, and there was a terrible grinding coming from the engine.
It sounds like it has grabbed a ring!
My theory is the new mechanical pump is putting out too much fuel pressure that has flooded the motor every time at idle, washing the oil from the cylinder walls, eventually causing it to grab a ring! Sound likely?

:welcome: to iboats

I don't see the fuel pump doing anything, electric or mechanical 4-8 psi is good. Your fuel filter was clogged, this could also mean your carb was clogged up. It may have been running rich but I'm thinking it was running way lean. Running lean means you had to gun it to keep it running. You did a lot of skiing running real lean and little by little your engine was eating it's self up. Pull the plugs and see what they look like. Then do a compression test.

Fun Times

Staff member

Hi there, welcome to iboats!:) Sounds like you'll first want to pull the spark plugs out to see what or if anything comes out both at rest and while turning the engine over.

When you installed the pump, was the mounting gasket thick or thin? Should have had 2 gaskets with a mounting plate like this, http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...1014&bnbr=120&bdesc=FUEL+PUMP+AND+FUEL+FILTER

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I'm with AllDodge, I think ya Detonated it to death from runnin' lean,....

All the crud ya found in the filter, is probably in the carb too,...
Have ya got a canister type fuel filter,..?? oughta get one,... in-lines usually ain't seen on boats,...

What's a Speedmaster pump,..??

Pull the spark plugs, 'n see what they look like,...
Do a compression test while yer at it,...

Open up the carb, 'n see how bad it is,...

Blatchy

Recruit

Symptoms are the opposite to when it had blocked filter. It idled and started fine with blocked filter so I doubt the carby has changed.

Last edited:

Blatchy

Recruit

It looks like I was right. Pulled the plugs, and the back two cylinders were full of fuel.
Oil smells of fuel and is high.
Should of pulled it off the water when it wasn't running properly!
Ahh hindsight!

Fun Times

Staff member

Sorry to hear that!:( How does the engine sound with the plugs out while cranking?

You'll want to set up a fuel pressure gauge and see what it's currently sitting at with the new pump.

And of course a compression test.

NHGuy

Captain

So first off get that gassy oil out of the motor. Then the compression test. If it has even compression, which I'd expect, then go find out where the extra fuel is coming from.
It's one of two things. Could be your new pump, could be your carb.
Perhaps the carb is dumping gas, wouldn't be a big stretch to find a stuck float.
Did you get a marine pump with the safety vent connection to the carb? Did you have the right pump spacer plate? I have never broken one of them but the design of it looks as if using it without the plate might cause the pump arm to move too far. Maybe that could have torn the diaphragm putting gas in the crankcase.

I wonder why the previous owner did an electric fuel pump.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

It looks like I was right. Pulled the plugs, and the back two cylinders were full of fuel.
Oil smells of fuel and is high.
Should of pulled it off the water when it wasn't running properly!
Ahh hindsight!

Sorry to hear also, but cannot see a carb dumping fuel into just 7 and 8 cylinder. Look forward to hearing more

NHGuy

Captain

True, not definitely one of those two things. But I'd look there as a start.