1970 mercruiser hard steering to the left

gendent

Cadet
I have a 1979 19 foot Glasply with the inline 6 GM engine. Ever since i got it two years ago it has turned left easily, but requires a lot of effort to turn to the right. It sat for several years in a heated dry shop so it has not suffered due to exposure outside. Where do I start? Thanks

ziggy

Admiral
Re: 1970 mercruiser hard steering to the left

start with the trim tab. located under the anti vent plate at the aft end. it's a zinc. this tab is adj. port to starboard. ya pop off the little red cap on the top of the lower. under that, deep in the hole is an hex key drive cap bolt. loosen that and the trim tab can be adjusted.
ya adj. for a specific speed, trim and load. move the tab in the direction the boat steers easiest to. hard to starboard, easy to port. adj. to port.

Attachments

• trim tab adjustment.JPG
    trim tab adjustment.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 1979 19 foot Glasply with the inline 6 GM engine. Ever since i got it two years ago it has turned left easily, but requires a lot of effort to turn to the right. It sat for several years in a heated dry shop so it has not suffered due to exposure outside. Where do I start? Thanks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... If tunin' the torque tab like Ziggy explains don't fix it,....

Try a different prop,...

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Everything above is correct. But to add, it's always going to be harder to turn to the right, your fighting the inertia of engine rotation. All mercruiser engines are left hand rotation engine. When turning left, your going with the rotating mass that is your crankshaft and flywheel, and that gives you a push in that direction. But when going to the right, your going against that rotating mass, which means you have to fight it. On older boats, with older steering systems, and especially on the straight 6's, the effect is more pronounced.

Last edited:

gendent

Cadet

Thanks again for the insights. I have actually used three different props with all the same results. I will do the tab adjust as described today. Due to the spring melt-off here in Idaho, the debris in the waterways will make me wait a few weeks before I can test for results.

gendent

Cadet

I woke up last night thinking that if I replaced the original steering assembly with a new hydraulic one, would that lessen/remove the steering issue and then are there replacements available? I know this is an old boat, but it is in really good shape. I have always been more of a repair and maintain type of owner than get rid of it 'cause its broken type.

jackr800000

Cadet

My boat (no power steering) pulls hard while motor is lugging, but once on plane is balanced as per trim tab setting. It takes me about 60 seconds wide open throttle , with no passengers, to get on plane and steering balances out, although I'm a little under-powered with 120 and 18.5 ft. boat, Are you getting on plane ok?

Bondo

Staff member

I woke up last night thinking that if I replaced the original steering assembly with a new hydraulic one, would that lessen/remove the steering issue and then are there replacements available? I know this is an old boat, but it is in really good shape. I have always been more of a repair and maintain type of owner than get rid of it 'cause its broken type.

Ayuh,.... Hydraulic systems are known for cuttin' steerin' torque to a minimum,....

Just goin' to a "No-feedback" cable system would do the same, quite abit cheaper,...