Mercruiser 8.1 ltr EFI spark plug wires $500 WTF!

kfraser65

Cadet
Am I off my meds again?

I accidently cut one of my spark plug wires in half.. I was working on one of the engines and went to turn it over and one plug wire got caught up in the alternator belt. I just looked up the mercruiser part number 881698 (wire set) and found the list price is $575.00, but on todays blue light special I can get it for a mere $479.01....!!!!

Since I did make it just past the 7th grade, & I am assuming my math is correct, it would cost me $958.02 (+ tax ) to replace the spark plug wires on both of my engines. I'm not sure, but I have a pretty good idea you could buy a damn nice house somewhere in Mexico for that!

Although I like my current job, I have decided to quit and go into the marine spark plug wire business. When I do, I will name my new Mega Yacht " Plug Wires ". Then I can go and hang out with the guy that owns the Car Dealership on his Mega Yacht named " Doc Fee "....

Anybody know if there is an automotive equivalent? Anybody got a spare plug wire?

Thanks Folks!

KevinF

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercruiser 8.1 ltr EFI spark plug wires $500 WTF!

Take what's left of the lead (both ends) and wander into any Autozone or similar and lay it on the bench. The spotty 17yo will find you an equivalent. I doubt it will cost you an arm and use of both legs....

For the money Merc are asking, that's a whole set, all 8 PLUS the coil wire (but I do agree with you, that is a bit OOT). You only need the 1 lead, so only buy one lead :D....

Chris.....
(Do they have Autozones in Daytona? :noidea:)

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I dont believe big block wires are that marine specific. More likely the same wires are used for auto applications.
Depending on the manufacturer there may be a slight difference in length and plug end design. A good silicone wire set should suffice.
Listed as $185.000 in here Chevy GM Vortec 8100 8.1L Performance Spark Plug Wires - Mercruiser 496cid Spark Plug Wires - Raylar Engineering
Think the link might be removed so just google 8.1L marine spark plug wires.

Last edited:

agallant80

Commander

There is no way I would ever spend that kind of money on a wire set. That is just crazy. It sounds like merc is charging that much just because. I can't imagine what the difference between marine and auto wires would be.

Bondo

Staff member

There is no way I would ever spend that kind of money on a wire set. That is just crazy. It sounds like merc is charging that much just because. I can't imagine what the difference between marine and auto wires would be.

Ayuh,.... In My experiences, Automotive wires are shorter, 'n usually have the wrong ends on 'em,....

Auto wires go over the top of the motor, while Marine wires go down 'round the aft of the motor, 'n up under the manifolds,...

Auto wires have angled ends, 'n Marine wires have straight connections on the plug ends,...
Distributor ends might be innies, 'n ya need outies, or vise versa,...

Spark plug Wire, can be bought off a bulk roll at whatever length ya need, 'n the ends ya need can be crimped on,...
No waste that way,...

MikDee

Banned

I try to get this type of stainless, or monel, core suppression wire for all my vehicles, if I can,,, You get the strongest spark to the plugs for the money.

By the way, don't you know that those Mercruiser wires are made by pixies, and contain pixie dust, that's why they're so expensive, your engine will self destruct without them ;) :D

I remember maybe 20yrs ago being in a Mercruiser dealer debating about getting a new water pump for my 888 Mercruiser, and the guy said okay, $325! :faint2: I almost fell on the floor. I said nevermind, and went to the nearest auto supply, & bought a rebuilt 302 Ford V8 water pump, for about $25,,, I figured I could replace it once a year for 10yrs, and it still wouldn't cost me that much. Little did I know, that I had to pull out a couple of spouts out of the pump, & epoxy sealing plugs in it, to get it to fit, and it didn't have a stainless back plate like a marine pump (probably why that was so expensive!) So, (take note here) save your stainless backing plates to put on your next rebuilt marine pump.

Last edited:

JustJason

Vice Admiral

The price has come down, they used to be closer to 900 for the set. (112 bucks a wire X 8).

Another option is just getting a set of wires from Volvo. An 8.1 is an 8.1, and there is nothing different about the Mercruiser vs Volvo ignition systems.

3861295 is the Volvo part number on them. Should be 115 bucks for a set of 8

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes its because the manifolds get in the way. Not sure what it would be here.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Sometimes its because the manifolds get in the way. Not sure what it would be here.

That's exactly the difference between marine and automotive wires. Marine ones are longer, and have to clear marine manifolds, which are waaaaay bigger than any automotive manifold.

On the 8.1, you have 4 coils on top of the valve cover. The front 2 coils wires run to the front of the manifold, come under it, and then connect to the appropriate cylinders. Then the back 2 coil wires run to the back of the manifold, drop under it, and then connect to the appropriate cylinders. Repeat for the other bank.

But yes, Mercruiser is an American business, and follows the American business model of charge what people are willing to pay for it, which is not the same as pay for what its worth, which is what Volvo does. Price out a belt sometime, it will be twice the cost of the Volvos.

agallant80

Commander

I think I would go with the Volvo solution offered above. There is no way I would pay that much for plug wires no matter what. Merc is taking advantage of people with that price.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I think I would go with the Volvo solution offered above. There is no way I would pay that much for plug wires no matter what. Merc is taking advantage of people with that price.
You wouldn't go for the AC Delco ones I posted for $56?

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Go to NAPA and have them cross reference the Volvo wire set with their marine grade equivalent. Have done that for years on my boats when replacing wires.
Prices are much more user friendly, and the wires are good.

kfraser65

Cadet

This is why I love this board so much... Always very good & friendly advice. I've been on & off the boards here for about ten years now, and have never had a bad experience. A sincere Thank You to all...!!!

Just ordered the set for $56.00

Fun Times

Staff member

This is why I love this board so much... Always very good & friendly advice. I've been on & off the boards here for about ten years now, and have never had a bad experience. A sincere Thank You to all...!!!

Just ordered the set for $56.00
If possible, Please be sure to let us know how they fit vs the oem's. Maybe a picture or two installed would be a nice follow up as well.:) Oh and when your on your Mega Yacht, don't forget about us little guys.:D

Walt T

Lieutenant

He'll be back with "My engine backfires and pops! Barely runs!" Then we can mess with him saying O Crap you shoulda bought the 500 dollar set, now you gotta rebuild the engine. The first guy who says "firing order" gets deleted by Bondega.

I know I'd laugh

kfraser65

Cadet

He'll be back with "My engine backfires and pops! Barely runs!" Then we can mess with him saying O Crap you shoulda bought the 500 dollar set, now you gotta rebuild the engine. The first guy who says "firing order" gets deleted by Bondega.

I know I'd laugh

Walt, That was my last post.... C'mon, you're not paying attention!