Mercruiser MC-1 to Alpha Transom Assembly Swap?

Macandrc

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I have a 1976 Glastron with a Mercruiser 888 (Ford 302) engine and MC-1 transom/Gimbal assembly, is it possible to swap the MC-1 transom/gimbal assembly for a newer Alpha Transom/Gimbal assembly?

I am rebuilding the boat and the transom assembly i have is in very poor shape and with some of the parts i require unavailable i was hoping i could use an alpha gimbal housing (maybe Gen 1). Will it mate up to the Ford engine ok?

Look forward to any help

Colin

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Mercruiser MC-1 to Alpha Transom Assembly Swap?

You should be able to reuse the exhaust y-tube and the inner transom plate, so the 302 should mate up just fine. They both have the same number of holes in the same locations on the transom. The trim limit sensors may be in a different location, but that shouldn't affect anything.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I donno if yer Y-pipe will swap to an Alpha 1 transom or not,...

The inner plate from the MC-1, You'll need, 'n it'll swap alright,..
You'll need it to match the rear motor mount spacin',...

I think the trim manifolds are threaded the same, so yer trim lines should swap,....

Macandrc

Cadet

Excellent guys, that will make life a lit easier:) All i have to do now is source a good one, get the gutts back into the boat and away we go!

cheers for all the help

colin

haulnazz15

Captain

Ayuh,.... I donno if yer Y-pipe will swap to an Alpha 1 transom or not,...

I was under the impression that as long as the flange on the Alpha assembly had the 3 o-rings, it would fit. I know they moved to the single o-ring at one point, but I thought that was Gen II. The y-pipe itself will need to be kept due to the width being specific to the Ford, though.

Bondo

Staff member

I was under the impression that as long as the flange on the Alpha assembly had the 3 o-rings, it would fit. I know they moved to the single o-ring at one point, but I thought that was Gen II. The y-pipe itself will need to be kept due to the width being specific to the Ford, though.

Ayuh,.... I donno the time line of the exhaust flange changes, but there's been Several of 'em,....