Morse Twin S Controls and Mercruiser 5.7

Dempsey7

Cadet
I'm in the process of rigging my cobia tower finally. I've started to gather most of the parts. I'm in the process of removing the existing binancle mercury control, and replacing with the Morse Twin S control. I've ran the new teleflex xtreme cables with the mercruiser connection kit on the engine side.

The shift assist (think that's what it's called, the spring loaded mechanism at the upper shift cable attachment on the engine) keeps throwing the control out of gear due to the springs pressure. My old control was extremely difficult to shift in and out and I thought it was due to the cables (going to do lower shift cable too once everything else is finished). Does the old control have more tension to keep it from allowing the shift assist to throw it out of gear? Do I get rid of the shift assist since I don't have the Mercury control, or does that work alongside the shift interrupt switch?

I'm heading back outside to work with it a little bit see if I can't figure it out. Maybe my adjustments are off? Figure I'd throw a post up, iboats members seem to have good knowledge all around. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Morse Twin S Controls and Mercruiser 5.7

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Take the "Shift assist" contraption Off, 'n Try it,...

There's more Mercs out there, Without that thing, than there are with it,...

Dempsey7

Cadet

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Take the "Shift assist" contraption Off, 'n Try it,...

There's more Mercs out there, Without that thing, than there are with it,...

What's the purpose of the assist? It shifts smooth when it's taken off, does that affect the shift interrupt at all? I don't want to hurt anything by taking it off, but if it's not necessary and won't do any harm it's staying off? Thanks for your help guys.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The original idea (of the shift assister) was to make shifting easier. Later it was actually needed because the newer MPI engines only knock half the cylinders off when the shift interrupt switch is tripped. Without it on the old engines, no problems, but the MPIs, without it, stiff shifting. I didn't have one on the original engine in the boat (1972 in-line 6 '165' with an MC1 drive). One came with the next engine (1994 4.3LX). I thought it would lead to more problems than it solved, so I pulled the springs out of it, and the shifting was very good... The next engine (the current 2006 4.3MPI) also came with one and I immediately remove it, only to find shifting was very stiff, for the reason mentioned above. I have re-instated it, but still don't really like it.

HTH,

Chris.......