• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

1985 Sun dance by Sun Runner

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


  • 1985 Sun dance by Sun Runner

    I purchased a 1985 Sun Runner. Has a 120 Mercruiser. One side of the motor lowers and the other does not. Wires are dry rotted. How do I replace the trim limit motors? Will post pics this weekend. Needs washed and waxed and upholstery cleaned. 18 ft cabin cruiser. Not sure if any other info is needed.

    It is a Mercruiser outdrive. Not sure which model. Appears I need to replace the boot as well. Anything else I should replace while I am in there?

    Bill


  • #2
    Re: 1985 Sun dance by Sun Runner

    Originally posted by madman960 View Post
    I purchased a 1985 Sun Runner. Has a 120 Mercruiser. One side of the motor lowers and the other does not. Wires are dry rotted. How do I replace the trim limit motors? Will post pics this weekend. Needs washed and waxed and upholstery cleaned. 18 ft cabin cruiser. Not sure if any other info is needed.

    It is a Mercruiser outdrive. Not sure which model. Appears I need to replace the boot as well. Anything else I should replace while I am in there?

    Bill
    Ayuh,.... Please explain what ya mean with the 2 hi-lighted statements, they don't make sense,....

    A 120hp Merc motor, in '85 would have an Alpha 1 outdrive,...

    'n if yer talkin' 'bout the Bellows(boot,..??), I'd do a full transom kit, All the bellows, the shift cable, 'n the trim limit switch/ senders,...
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

    Comment



    • #3
      Re: 1985 Sun dance by Sun Runner

      The port side lowers about half an inch. The starboard side does not move at all. The trim limit wires are completely dry rotted with wires showing. I am not sure why the statements are high lighted.

      Comment



      • #4
        Re: 1985 Sun dance by Sun Runner

        Originally posted by madman960 View Post
        The port side lowers about half an inch. The starboard side does not move at all. The trim limit wires are completely dry rotted with wires showing. I am not sure why the statements are high lighted.
        Ayuh,... How does the portside lower, 'n not the starboard side,..??

        It's 1 trim pump, 2 trim cylinders, 'n the drive 'tween the cylinders, 1 can not move, unless the other does,...

        Post a picture, as yer explanation does Not make any sense,...
        Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

        Comment



        • #5
          Re: 1985 Sun dance by Sun Runner

          The port side barely moves. I figure it is because the starboard side does not move. The starboard side trim wires are rotted in half and not attached to anything. I have removed the starboard side trim limit switch. Port side is still attached somewhere behind the out drive. However, I did remove all the screws.

          I thought I was going to replace the faulty wires until I took the limit switch off. That's when I started researching how to replace the parts.

          Comment



          • #6
            Re: 1985 Sun dance by Sun Runner

            Originally posted by madman960 View Post
            The port side barely moves. I figure it is because the starboard side does not move. The starboard side trim wires are rotted in half and not attached to anything. I have removed the starboard side trim limit switch. Port side is still attached somewhere behind the out drive. However, I did remove all the screws.

            I thought I was going to replace the faulty wires until I took the limit switch off. That's when I started researching how to replace the parts.
            Ayuh,.... Are the trim cylinders still attached to the drive,..??

            If so, pull the aft pin, 'n cycle 'em,.... What do the cylinders do,..??

            Up in the Mercruiser forum, in Don'S Adults Only section are factory manuals for yer drive, 'n motor,...
            There's also Oceans of Merc info, explainin' what ya got, 'n how to fix it,...
            Have a look 'round,,...
            Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

            Comment



            • #7
              Re: 1985 Sun dance by Sun Runner

              The cylinders are. I removed the 2 parts with wires. I believe they are the trim limit switches.

              Comment



              • #8
                Re: 1985 Sun dance by Sun Runner

                A mechanic friend of mine said to direct wire the switches to the solenoid. He says saltwater will destroy the trim limit switches. How do I go about doing this?

                Thanks,

                Bill

                Comment



                • #9
                  Re: 1985 Sun dance by Sun Runner

                  Originally posted by madman960 View Post
                  A mechanic friend of mine said to direct wire the switches to the solenoid. He says saltwater will destroy the trim limit switches. How do I go about doing this?

                  Thanks,

                  Bill
                  Ayuh,..... Inside the transom, where those 4 wires come through,....

                  2 of the wires, for the trim Switch, just need to be attached to each other, on the pump-side, jumperin' the switch outa the circuit,...

                  The 2 wires for the trim Sender, just go to the gauge on the dash,... ignore 'em,...
                  Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

                  Comment



                  • #10
                    Re: 1985 Sun dance by Sun Runner

                    Thanks Bondo.

                    Comment



                    • #11
                      Re: 1985 Sun dance by Sun Runner

                      Like Bondo was getting at there is only a sender (my Sunrunner has a sender but no meter) and a limit switch. Each one if for the drive not for each cylinder. There is also only 1 pump. Sometimes the cylinders will run at different speeds when not connected but should run together when everything is together.
                      83 Sunrunner 16.5 120 merc Alpha 1 drive SOLD 8/1/13

                      1996 Crownline 202BR
                      5.7l EFI 0f791070
                      Bravo I drive

                      Comment



                      • #12
                        Re: 1985 Sun dance by Sun Runner

                        Thanks Thumpar. Been in Daytona Beach. Going to work on it today or tomorrow.

                        Comment



                        • #13
                          Re: 1985 Sun dance by Sun Runner

                          I cut and spliced the wires in different configurations. No change in movement. The port side still moves slightly and no movement on starboard. Am I missing something?

                          Thanks.

                          Bill

                          Comment



                          • #14
                            Re: 1985 Sun dance by Sun Runner

                            Originally posted by madman960 View Post
                            I cut and spliced the wires in different configurations. No change in movement. The port side still moves slightly and no movement on starboard. Am I missing something?

                            Thanks.

                            Bill
                            Ayuh,.... Ya gotta tell Us what ya did, 'n where yer at, as We have No idea what you've done,......

                            Have ya been to Don'S Adults Only section, downloaded the factory Mercruiser manuals, 'n Looked at the wirin' diagrams in there,..??
                            Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

                            Comment



                            • #15
                              Re: 1985 Sun dance by Sun Runner

                              I rewired the trim motor. Still no change with the starboard side ram moving. Yesterday, I was looking at my trim pump for my Mercury 1500. Almost the same pump. I noticed it said fill om it in real small letters. So I checked the trimp pump on the Mercruiser. It had an F where it said fill on my other pump. I removed the screw. It was pretty much empty. Filled reservoir with West Marines trim pump hydraulic fluid. No change. My buddy stopped by so I had him bounce on the motor while I lowered it. It went all the way down. Now it works perfectly.

                              Can I purchase plain crews from the hardware store to put the trim limit caps back? Anything I should check before I put it in the water?

                              Thanks everyone.

                              Bill

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X