I forgot to drain exhaust manifold

atcfan

Cadet
The other day I realized I forgot to drain my exhaust manifold when I put it away for the winter. Today I decide to uncover the boat to see how bad it is. I pull the drain on the manifold and probably a quart of water comes out. Should I assume it is cracked and buy a new one or start it up during the next warm spell here in Cny. The block was drained in October so should be fine, I hope. This is a 2.5 L

diveman05

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: I forgot to drain exhaust manifold

if it was me it'd kill me not to find out until spring basically and then not be able to boat because it was broken. I would take it off and check it out while you can't do anything other than possibly replace it if you have to. At the same time it may not hurt to run it when it warms up and make sure you did everything else right as well.

This was my first year winterizing my boat and of course its the coldest we have had in like 20 years here (Michigan) so i can't wait for spring to make sure i didn't screw it up!

agallant80

Commander

The other day I realized I forgot to drain my exhaust manifold when I put it away for the winter. Today I decide to uncover the boat to see how bad it is. I pull the drain on the manifold and probably a quart of water comes out. Should I assume it is cracked and buy a new one or start it up during the next warm spell here in Cny. The block was drained in October so should be fine, I hope. This is a 2.5 L
It depends, Where do you live and how cold has it gotten? I would pull them and check. The last ting I would want to have happen is water get in to the engine hydrolocking it and breaking the engine too.

alldodge

Staff member

While it could still have a crack, the good sign is that water came out when you pulled the plug. If you really want to find out, hook the muffs up and fire her up. Re-winterizing should be easy enough

Edit :welcome: to iboats

Last edited:

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

I too, live near Central NY.. you drained your block,, that's probably fine... I hope your manifold did not crack, probably did though, we had some crazy cold temps since Oct last year... I drained mine in Oct too,, block and manifold, I used an air compressor pulled hose off and blew it out good......... I wish you luck come spring when you try to fire it up...

atcfan

Cadet

It got down to -17 at least once this winter. So guess 2 options. Buy a manifold now or wait and hope for the best.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

you drained it all now,,just wait till March... it wont be anymore broke then (March) than it may be now...

haulnazz15

Captain

Yup, I'd be pulling the manifold and doing an acetone test before I ran it on the engine. It goes from a cracked manifold to a bent rod pretty quickly.

Maclin

Admiral

Pull the spark plugs now and see if any water comes out, my thinking is if it did crack then water could have seeped thru into the exhaust passage and on into any cylinder with an open exhaust valve. You may want to bump it over with the plugs out also just to make sure water is not hiding at the bottom of a cylinder that may be just beginning an exhaust stroke.

atcfan

Cadet

OK I will pull the plugs and try that and pull the manifold. It doesn't look like to hard to do.

thumpar

Admiral

Hopefully your are ok but I would check it out. The first year I had my 2.5l I didn't know that I was supposed to pull that plug. I did drain everything else. Luckily mine turned out fine.

Bondo

Staff member

OK I will pull the plugs and try that and pull the manifold. It doesn't look like to hard to do.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Pull the spark plugs, 'n look 'em over for signs of water,...

Turn the motor over on the starter while they're out, 'n look for water sprayin' outa the cylinders,...
If No water sprays out, put the plugs back in, 'n Light 'er off, on the muffs,...

If the manifold is Cracked, you'll know in a few minutes,...

If it Is,.... Drain the block, 'n tear the manifold off,...
If it Ain't,.... Drain the block, 'n manifold, kick back, 'n enjoy yer winter,... ;)

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Report back if you were ok....,, you got a quart out,, if enough water was out and you had enough space in there to absorb the ice expansion, your likely good...... now your empty, or pretty damn close to empty,, your good

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class

While it could still have a crack, the good sign is that water came out when you pulled the plug. If you really want to find out, hook the muffs up and fire her up. Re-winterizing should be easy enough

Edit :welcome: to iboats
XX
x2

atcfan

Cadet

Well I finally got around to firing up the boat to see what kind of mess I had. I let it run for about 10 minutes on muffs and could not find any leaks and the oil looks clean so I am guessing I will be fine.

alldodge

Staff member

Way cool, it's time to go boating :whoo:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

They won't leak water into the engine while its running. It's when it sits is when they cause damage.

You can always pull it off and have it pressure tested.

alldodge

Staff member

First post said it's a 2.5 and he got about a quart of water out. How much water do you think would be in there

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Depends on where the crack is. If the crack is near the top, it could leak to the bottom of the crack and there would still be water left below it.

atcfan

Cadet

I guess I will take my chances and run it. I will make sure I stick close to home and have my cell phone with me.