switch out volvo exhaust manifolds with mercruiser

rayman 62

Cadet
Hi I have recently purchaced a 1977 tollycraft tri-cabin. The boat has one v8 mercruiser with closed cooling and one v6 mercruiser with raw water cooling.I have purchaced a 5.7 volvo to replace the v6 and want to change the volvo exhaust and risers with ones I have that were on a 5.0 mercruiser. Is this going to be too much trouble? I am planning on installing a closed cooling kit and have heard that a mercruiser full system is a better choice than a volvo half system. Does volvo offer a full system or should I go with the mercruiser?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: switch out volvo exhaust manifolds with mercruiser

Hi I have recently purchaced a 1977 tollycraft tri-cabin. The boat has one v8 mercruiser with closed cooling and one v6 mercruiser with raw water cooling.I have purchaced a 5.7 volvo to replace the v6 and want to change the volvo exhaust and risers with ones I have that were on a 5.0 mercruiser. Is this going to be too much trouble? I am planning on installing a closed cooling kit and have heard that a mercruiser full system is a better choice than a volvo half system. Does volvo offer a full system or should I go with the mercruiser?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... What drives,..??

Go with a San Juan Engineerin' coolin' system, 'n you can do a full, or 1/2 system,...

The Volvo, vs: Mercruiser exhaust manifolds comes down to accessory mountin' holes, plumbin' ports, 'n exit diameters,...

rayman 62

Cadet

Hi the transmissions are borg wagner 1.5 :1 Would a full or closed system be better?

;

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Full closed is the best, that way the raw water is only in the heat exchanger and risers, be aware that the engine and manifolds must be clean, otherwise rust will plug up the HE.