1C Water Pump Base Stuck - and Aluminum (?)

leegoldring

Cadet
Complete Water Pump change out for 1969 1C. Removed gear assembly and pump top. Not only is the pump base stuck, it's aluminum, not plastic, I as would have expected. I certainly have not heard of any water pump bases being aluminum, and my only guess is that this is the original 45 year-old pump base. The lower seal is broken and leaking oil out of the water intake grills and I must replace.

Can members please (a) confirm that the original water pump bases were aluminum for the 1C and (b) please give me some ideas on how remove the base. I'm not going to use any brute force of course, but it seems pretty frozen in.

See image for reference; note that I have not cleaned the area up so it is a bit messy with Blaster sprayed around the posts. Thank you in advance for any insight.

20131231_163351.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1C Water Pump Base Stuck - and Aluminum (?)

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Hopefully, Somebody's seen a 1C, as it's a pretty rare drive,....

Head on up to the top of this forum, 'n you'll find Don'S Adults Only section,...
The Mercruiser button in there will bring ya to the factory manuals,...

I ain't sure, but if the 1C is covered, it oughta be in manual #1....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

All I could find was mention of removing the flushing plug prior to removeing the base. No mention of type of material it is/was.

cr2k

Captain

Yea if the flushing plug is not removed it will be hard to get out.