Bend back the skeg?

model14

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The skeg on my Alpha 1 refurb is bent about 1/2" to the left, probably due to grounding on asphalt while towing. Can I bend it back or is it brittle and will crack?
Thanks,
Richard

limitout

Banned
Re: Bend back the skeg?

yes it is brittle and will crack if its not properly heated to soften it first.

I would suggest you consider letting a shop do it because its not the normal home repair type of job

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Dito on the above my friend. I had the same thing happen on one of my alpha1 gen 2 drives. I had it looked at by several shops and they all said they would try if I wanted it done but no one would promise it wouldn't break so for 21 years I used it as was with no problem. It did pull a little to one side but you can correct for that by replacing the flat anode just above the prop with one with a fin and cocking the fin to the left or right a few clicks. This will counter the torque created by the bent skeg.

model14

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the information. I will keep the bent skeg as is.
Richard

thumpar

Admiral

I would leave it also. To do it right the bottom end would need to be dismantled to protect it and heat used. You are lucky you have a skeg left. My friend broke is off when his girlfriend didn't raise the drive when pulling the boat out. Or at least that was his story.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

I had the same problem and was advised by Achris to use two rubber mallets to bring it back to straight. It worked fine for me.

Walt T

Lieutenant

If it breaks off, don't worry about it. You really can't tell the difference with it gone. They do make skeg replacement kits so you don't have to dismantle the drive. Some guys say a skeg is helpful at wakeless speeds in marinas. My solution is to avoid wakeless speeds.