Rusted head nut/bolt

JerseyBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,

I've got a 2005 mercruiser 3.0L that I am currently stripping down to repair / replace various bits.

It's been used for a season and the compression numbers have all been ok'ed.

So the question is, what do I do about these rusted nuts/bolts holding the head to the block? The advise at the moment has been to leave them well alone in the, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'll be purchasing a new manifold / riser and giving the engine a repaint, so if I can leave it for next winter to worry about all the better!

EngineHead.jpg

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Rusted head nut/bolt

Well, if it runs I guess there is no sense in asking for trouble.

Having said that.... On the one hand you could run it and then the next time you have the engine out it you could tackle it.

On the other hand.... it's a long winter ahead of you there in New Jersey.... maybe a good time to get those rusty bolts out and maybe even a valve job with new head gasket while you are there. ;)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

that looks horible.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

If there's no reason to fool with it.......I wouldn't.

NHGuy

Captain

I got Tony's back. If it ain't broke...

Bondo

Staff member

I got Tony's back. If it ain't broke...

Ayuh,.... I wouldn't touch it til it's Really Necessary,...

I would start soakin' it all with Fluid Film or something similar,...
just to stop the destruction goin' on,...

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer

Wow. That is bad. Try and drill it out and then thread in another bolt/nut and weld it in place and unscrew it that way. Or try and torch it but i don't think it would be the best of options. Good luck

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Start quietly shopping for another head. Maybe you will get lucky and find a trashed 3.0 with a cracked block.

That's really only a stud so if you pull the head you will end up installing new threaded studs. I tend to agree with the people above .....leave it alone but, I would be shopping and planning right now.

Deltarat

Seaman Apprentice

That is way too much rust and decay. Being old and not liking the way it looks; I would wrap putty around each nut and let soak with Liquid Wrench for a week and tapping nut every day to move fluid down into treads. Then i would attempt to remove the nut. As a last resort, I'd take a Saws-all and cut the corner of the nut off and spread the nut apart and remove it. Using a torch to heat up the nut to expand it is Good Luck.too dangerous as you can damage other good components. Next, where is all the moisture coming from to casue thiese problems.

Bondo

Staff member

That is way too much rust and decay. Being old and not liking the way it looks; I would wrap putty around each nut and let soak with Liquid Wrench for a week and tapping nut every day to move fluid down into treads. Then i would attempt to remove the nut. As a last resort, I'd take a Saws-all and cut the corner of the nut off and spread the nut apart and remove it. Using a torch to heat up the nut to expand it is Good Luck.too dangerous as you can damage other good components. Next, where is all the moisture coming from to casue thiese problems.

Ayuh,.... Nice Idea, wrong application,... Those are Head Bolts,....

JerseyBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Deltarat, there is a gap between the cap and engine bay cover that is just enough to allow seawater to drip in from wet gear / people getting in and out the boat. I've solved it with a small gutter to direct the run-off straight to the bilge.

Walt T

Lieutenant

I'd be afraid to touch that with anything including liquid wrench. Rust is all that is holding it together. Start planning as has been suggested by the wise guys here. I meant men, wise men.