Re Commissioning ?

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently bought an '89 Grady with a '97 Mercruiser carbed 350 with around 250 hrs on it. It has been sitting in POs yard for 6-7 years, and not started in 2-3 years. Motor is free and I'm currently lubricating cylds and getting ready for compression testing. I'm fairly confident it should be ok, but I'm wondering about the exhaust manifolds and risers. Could they get compromised from sitting that long. Should I just get motor running and see if it overheats, or pull exhaust and visually look inside parts first? They look fine on outside, which means nothing, and I'm pretty sure Po did nothing to store boat while sitting for so long.

I'm also planning on rebuilding carb, tuneup/oil&filter change, draining/checking/replacing fuel cell/hoses, etc. I'll also drop lower unit and go through it also, but figured I should at least first see if engine is going to be ok. I'll at least check oil in lower unit before firing up engine. Are there any other items I should check before firing up engine, or any advise on recommissioning this drivetrain I should be looking at? Thanks.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z112/chiefmike58/DSC02469_zpsc7c05709.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Re Commissioning ?

I recently bought an '89 Grady with a '97 Mercruiser carbed 350 with around 250 hrs on it. It has been sitting in POs yard for 6-7 years, and not started in 2-3 years. Motor is free and I'm currently lubricating cylds and getting ready for compression testing. I'm fairly confident it should be ok, but I'm wondering about the exhaust manifolds and risers. Could they get compromised from sitting that long. Should I just get motor running and see if it overheats, or pull exhaust and visually look inside parts first? They look fine on outside, which means nothing, and I'm pretty sure Po did nothing to store boat while sitting for so long.

I'm also planning on rebuilding carb, tuneup/oil&filter change, draining/checking/replacing fuel cell/hoses, etc. I'll also drop lower unit and go through it also, but figured I should at least first see if engine is going to be ok. I'll at least check oil in lower unit before firing up engine. Are there any other items I should check before firing up engine, or any advise on recommissioning this drivetrain I should be looking at? Thanks.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z112/chiefmike58/DSC02469_zpsc7c05709.jpg

Sitting that long with those few hours it looks like your doing the right thing. With all the plugs out, crank it over some to get the oil flowing. Unless the PO didn't winterize and I'm betting he did, I wouldn't worry about the exhaust for the first run. Don't see anything bothering the exhaust just sitting, maybe a bit of surface rust but nothing which would cause a big problem, they should be dry. Check the power steering for fluid and crank it up

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't mention that this is in fl, so I'm pretty sure Po didn't do anything to store boat out of water. I added my location to profile now. I'll check power steering before trying to start.

alldodge

Staff member

I didn't mention that this is in fl, so I'm pretty sure Po didn't do anything to store boat out of water. I added my location to profile now. I'll check power steering before trying to start.

Pull the hoses off the manifold and see what comes out. If it looks bad you could still run it for now and do a closer inspection later. Never know the PO might have flushed with fresh water

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pull the hoses off the manifold and see what comes out. If it looks bad you could still run it for now and do a closer inspection later. Never know the PO might have flushed with fresh water

Good idea, will do!

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

You might also want to pull off the distributer (mark the position of both the distributer relative to the engine block and the rotar relative to the distributor with a sharpie for re-installation) and prime the oil pump with a primer tool (very cheap at any auto parts store) and an electric drill. This will lubricate the whole inside of the engine. Otherwise you would be turning over the engine dry (not good). Your elbows are almost certainly rusted out and possibly your manifolds from being left alone for so long. You will want to check them before you start up the motor otherwise you will end up fishing out clumps of rust out of your "Y" pipe. You'll need to replace your plugs, plug wires, cap and rotar, oil in engine and drive, Water pump impeller in the drive (alpha) or in the engine pump (bravo), pressure test the drive for leaks, check all battery cables for rust including at the starter and solonoids, lubricate anything that moves on the engine. The upper and lower shift cables may be stretched and in need of replacing. You've got some hours of work ahead of you if you want to do it right. But hopefully all is well with the motor and it's just a matter of waking it up from a long sleep.

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like more good info tazrig! I've no problem with going through it thoroughly and replacing what needs it. I'll be running boat offshore to gulfstream off central Fl, so it's got to be right.

Tony, model is 241 offshore, same as yours, I believe. I think I spoke to you about it on Grady forum a few months back.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Maybe............nice boat!!
This is the place to be for engine questions/problems............
I can't tell you how much I have learned being here.

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe............nice boat!!
This is the place to be for engine questions/problems............
I can't tell you how much I have learned being here.

I hear that! This is only the second boat I've had with Mercruiser power. The other was a twin 470 25' Grady. I really liked those 470s, although many others don't. I used to run that boat far out of Moriches, and never any major problems, and actually was pretty economical. This boat actually is probably in better shape, just wasn't ran for a while. If it serves me as well or better than the other I/o boat, I'll be very satisfied.

Last edited:

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

If the PO did NOT do anything other than park the boat I would be worried. Florida has had freezing weather the last few winters, exhaust manifolds and engine block could be cracked if they were not drained.

I would be pulling drain plugs to see if any water comes out. Very closely inspecting the outsides of the exhaust manifolds for cracks. Once running looking everywhere for any water leaking.

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks CharlieB, I think I'm just going to pull all the exhaust apart and take a close look inside everything. Today I topped off power steering fluid, changed fuel separator, flushed out fuel pump and line into carb, then hooked up a remote fuel cell and line. I hooked hose and ears to outdrive and turned water on, then spun motor without ignition for a bit to oil up motor some, then hooked up a remote fuel cell and line. Splashed a little gas in carb and spun it up, and it immediately stated running, and running nice. I was shocked that it started and ran this easily. I only let it run at a very low idle for a few minutes, all the while touching exhaust manifolds/risers/block to check for heat. Didn't seem to be a lot of water exiting through prop, and the port exhaust manifold quickly became too hot to touch, while the starboard one remained very cool, barely warm. Am I correct in assuming that there most likely is a blockage somewhere in the system?

I have not replaced water pump in lower unit as of yet, but will do so shortly, and maybe I'll also replace water pump on block also, to be safe,and thermostat. Any other thoughts on exhaust system?

alldodge

Staff member

Thanks CharlieB, I think I'm just going to pull all the exhaust apart and take a close look inside everything. Today I topped off power steering fluid, changed fuel separator, flushed out fuel pump and line into carb, then hooked up a remote fuel cell and line. I hooked hose and ears to outdrive and turned water on, then spun motor without ignition for a bit to oil up motor some, then hooked up a remote fuel cell and line. Splashed a little gas in carb and spun it up, and it immediately stated running, and running nice. I was shocked that it started and ran this easily. I only let it run at a very low idle for a few minutes, all the while touching exhaust manifolds/risers/block to check for heat. Didn't seem to be a lot of water exiting through prop, and the port exhaust manifold quickly became too hot to touch, while the starboard one remained very cool, barely warm. Am I correct in assuming that there most likely is a blockage somewhere in the system?

I have not replaced water pump in lower unit as of yet, but will do so shortly, and maybe I'll also replace water pump on block also, to be safe,and thermostat. Any other thoughts on exhaust system?

Thermostat , easy and cheap, why not.
Only running a few minutes, it may not have had enough time to get the block filled up.
Not replacing the impeller would be the next thing and try again.

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thermostat , easy and cheap, why not.
Only running a few minutes, it may not have had enough time to get the block filled up.
Not replacing the impeller would be the next thing and try again.

Sounds good, that's what I'll do. I'm not familiar with any local Mercruiser suppliers in my area, is ebasicpower still a good reasonable supplier, or are there better ones out there now?

alldodge

Staff member

Sounds good, that's what I'll do. I'm not familiar with any local Mercruiser suppliers in my area, is ebasicpower still a good reasonable supplier, or are there better ones out there now?

Haven't bought anything from them so I can't say, but you could go to the top of this page and see what iboats has to offer. They have everything your looking for and has also supplied you this forum. Not saying you have to but it would be a good source, I've used them

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I've used iBoats.com many times. Great prices and always been real happy with them. Very knowledgeable staff on the other end of 1-800-869-1686

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Found a local supplier and bought a lower unit water pump, thermostat kit, a pair each of exhaust manifold and riser gaskets, gear oil, etc. Dropped lower unit and changed out water pump. Original one looked good, with no issues, replaced anyway. Next pulled thermostat housing, and it did not look too bad either. While I had those four hoses disconnect, I blew into the ones going to bottom of exhaust manifolds. The starboard one air would go into, but the port one was blocked solid. Pulled port riser and exhaust manifold for closer inspection. Discovered right away that plastic fitting on bottom of exhaust manifold was blocked with crap, and a little more in hole that fitting screwed into. I cleaned that area, and the rest of manifold and riser passageways, although not looking like new, did look good, and flowed both air and water very well. Looks like PO did not thoroughly drain exhaust manifold when laying up boat, or it built up its own moisture from sitting so long unused, and that water layed in the plastic drain and hardened up. I'm going to bolt it back on and check other side the same, then run it and see if I've solved problem. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

Walt T

Lieutenant

I'd get it running first before I bought any expensive parts. Unless you plan on fixing it regardless in which case buy manifolds and risers. It's silly not to do so. I'm a fresh water weenie no salt water corrosion up here in Colorado where everyone in Florida thinks is above the arctic circle. Good luck!

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Vero, I wasn't quite clear on whether or not you planned to replace both manifolds and both risers since you had cleaned out one side. It's very important at this point that you do. The manifolds and risers need to be the same on both sides of the engine both for proper cooling but more importantly for the exhaust. If the back pressure on one side of the motor is stronger or weaker than the other side you will have one side of the engine fighting with the other side. In other words the side that has the more clogged manifolds and risers will have to strain harder to push out the same exhaust as the weaker side. This will greatly reduce the life of the engine if not causing something to break internally. I can't stress strongly enough to replace both risers and both manifolds on the engine now. In the future if you find that you have replace one of the components on one side you'll need to replace the same component on the other side.