Extreme clunking sound when attempting reverse in mercruiser 165 I/O 1973

thumpar

Admiral
Re: Extreme clunking sound when attempting reverse in mercruiser 165 I/O 1973

You can find the manual in the adults only thread. It will show you the steps you need to take to adjust and evaluate the cables.

Bondo

Staff member

it works in forward but sounds terrible in reverse..
advice please

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Yer lower shift cable is probably just plain ole, Worn out,....

Replacin' it is the real Answer, but you can try adjustin' it to center the travel better, Maybe,...

Like thumper said, head on up to Don'S Adults Only section at the top of this forum,...
In there, you'll find the Mercruiser Info button,...
Click on the Manuals button, go to Mercruiser, then download manual #2, which covers yer motor, 'n drive,....

Adjustin', as well as Replacin' yer lower shift cable are covered in that manual,...

so its more likely that the cable is worn/need adjust/replace rather than the gears being messed up.. ?
why would it engage out of the water with muffs, but not engage in the water?
im thumbin' the manual now, but im sure i got more questions coming your way. thanks again

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Do like Bondo said and do a bunch of reading on your system......after doing that you will understand how it works.

On land no load on drive and motor...in water load on system. The gears mesh in the outdrive....hardend gears wont mess up unless there is no gear lube...then thats a bad thing.

Good luck!