5.7 efi wiring harness

cruzinet

Cadet
does anyone know what the efi harness connector goes to? And also the Harness connector starting/charging harness. I'm rebuilding a 1999 5.7 efi. I have all the wires on the harness figured out except for the above two harness.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 5.7 efi wiring harness

You are going to need to be a bit more specific about what you have. Is it MEFI-1 or MEFI-3? Is it an Alpha engine or a Bravo?
To answer the second question, I would think the 'starting/charging harness' would go to the starting and charging parts of the engine.... Like the starter motor and solenoid and the alternator.

Do you have the wiring diagrams from a Merc genuine manual? (also would help a lot if you provided the engine serial number)...

Chris.....

cruzinet

Cadet

I have a mefi-1. Its a Alpha engine. The wiring harness that I have has separate connections to all the charging and starting components.wiring.jpg number 18 is what the post is about.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I think this is what you're looking for...

Your 'Number 18' connects to my 'b'

attachment.php

Attachments

• 5.7EFI Staring & Charging.jpg
    5.7EFI Staring & Charging.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 4

cruzinet

Cadet

They do fit. One thing is the colors of the wires don't match. I haven't got to the point of wiring the engine yet. When I connected them a few of the other wires wouldn't reach. That's why I'm confused. If they are supposed to be connected great. Maybe it will work when I wire the engine.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Colors can't be depended on especially with replacement harnesses. Wiring harnesses are built by hand somewhere and if the person runs out of a color they grab another roll of what they have and just keep going. It's not rare to find short assemblies, broken/ bent pins stuff like that in new harnesses. Check it all carefully and follow that diagram you'll be fine. You can buy the tools to remove and replace those pins in the connector and you can usually find those pins at electronic supply stores, or online.