4.3 power steering issue

Jeremylong

Recruit
Hi to all, new to this forum and looking for an answer to a problem with power steering on Merc 4.3 Alpha 1 Gen 2 but with Bravo actuator. Boat is new to me and has not seen water for last 8 Months, just done full service on engine, new impeller on O/D and rewire. 1st time on water yesterday found Steering stiff in both directions, needs 2 hands. Fluid level OK no leaks etc. Read manual but haven't got a pressure gauge to test system or pump pressure. Taken boat to dealer today for repair. Read a few posts on here and discovered that I may have caused the problem by cable tying a flexible conduit to the steering cable near to the actuator restricting its movement? Also I read about the "flats" on the cable sleeve on the actuator had to be in a certain position, this bit I don't understand?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 4.3 power steering issue

Hi to all, new to this forum and looking for an answer to a problem with power steering on Merc 4.3 Alpha 1 Gen 2 but with Bravo actuator. Boat is new to me and has not seen water for last 8 Months, just done full service on engine, new impeller on O/D and rewire. 1st time on water yesterday found Steering stiff in both directions, needs 2 hands. Fluid level OK no leaks etc. Read manual but haven't got a pressure gauge to test system or pump pressure. Taken boat to dealer today for repair. Read a few posts on here and discovered that I may have caused the problem by cable tying a flexible conduit to the steering cable near to the actuator restricting its movement? Also I read about the "flats" on the cable sleeve on the actuator had to be in a certain position, this bit I don't understand?

:welcome: to iboats

The steering cable needs to be able to move a bit and bend radius is most important. That is make sure the bend is not to tight, see manufactures recommendations.

When tightening the nut on the end of the steering ram (actuator) the slots must be in the vertical (straight up and down) position. The slots I'm speaking of are the ones a wrench would be used to keep the cylinder from turning when the large nut is tightened. The wrench should be slide over the slots and held straight up while the steering nut cable is tightened.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,....Another common problem is the end of the cable corrodin', Inside the aluminum mountin' tube at the transom,...

Disconnect the cable end, 'n pull it outa the aluminum tube, clean, 'n grease it,...

Jeremylong

Recruit

Hi Alldodge, The slots were in the horizontal position before I checked things earlier today, I loosened the cable nut and turned the slots vertical then tightened the nut, I also disconnected the end of the cable rod to check if the out drive would move freely, it did but only in one direction and the steering wheel was still very stiff in both directions? I will call the dealer tomorrow and tell them about the cable ties!!!... Hopefully that is the problem.

Jeremylong

Recruit

Hi Bondo, it was one of your posts I read that explained about the cable sleeve needing to be free, in a link to a Volvo power steering set up, I think you could be right regarding the cable rod being stuck in the sleeve, I will make sure the dealer checks this too. Thanks