Alternator removal

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
On my 1986 mercruiser 260hp V8 I want to remove the alternator so I can get to the spark plugs easier. Do I need a special tool to remove it from the pulley and block? It needs to come off any ways cause I got a new one.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Alternator removal

On my 1986 mercruiser 260hp V8 I want to remove the alternator so I can get to the spark plugs easier. Do I need a special tool to remove it from the pulley and block? It needs to come off any ways cause I got a new one.

Ayuh,.... The alternator is bolted to it's brackets by a few bolts,...

The Pulley will need a puller to change it,...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Do I need a special tool to remove it from the pulley and block?

If you are talking about the pulley on the alternator itself - it will come off with the alternator as one unit. Unless I am missing what you are asking? :confused:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

1/2 inch for the tension bolt, 9/16 for the main bolt, but usually there is no need to remove an alt.

harleyman1975

Ensign

If you are unsure about how to remove an alternator are you sure you want to be wrenching on your boats engine?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

You loosen the bolt under the alternator and then the one connecting it to the block. Rotate the alternator clockwise and slip the belt off. Then remove the lower nut and the upper bolt. The alternator should come right off.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

The alternator was not working at all and I had an extra one laying around... It's a real pain in the *** to access the engine so I don't want to remove anything that doesn't need to be removed.
Do I still need the belt puller? To put it back on?

Bondo

Staff member

The alternator was not working at all and I had an extra one laying around... It's a real pain in the *** to access the engine so I don't want to remove anything that doesn't need to be removed.

Ayuh,.... If this is an '86, it's got V-belts,... Right,..??

Donno what yer talkin' 'bout with the "Belt Puller" comment,...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It is not a belt puller that Bondo mentioned, but a pulley puller. And no, you do not need one. You had asked about removing the pulley, but the pulley doesn't come off. It is attached to the alternator and will come off with the unit.

No offense... but are you sure you are identifying the correct items that need to be removed? I cannot image a scenario where you need to remove the alternator to get to the spark plugs. You will need access to the sides of the engine. You will not be able to pull and replace the spark plugs from the front. MAYBE the front two, but not the ones near the back of the engine.

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bondo was referring to a puller to remove your alt pulley. The alternator you have laying around as you called it, must have the same size pulley on it as the one you are replacing. If not, you would need to "swap out" the pulleys, and you have to have a "puller" to do that job. There aren't any belt pullers. Hope this helps...Rick

alldodge

Staff member

I hope the one you have laying around is a marine type, otherwise I can see trouble in your future.

NHGuy

Captain

Yes if it's not marine don't use it. Non marine can cause fuel vapors to ignite. If the existing one isn't working get a new marine one or get the old one rebuilt. If the laying around one is marine use it by all means. You'd probably be smart to get it tested first. Most good parts places can test them.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

When you go to put it back on just take a large adjustable pliers. Put one end of it at the end of the slide bracket the bottom nut of the alternator attaches to and the other end to the nut itself after it has been gently snugged up. As you squeeze the pliers together it will rotate the alternator and snug the belt against the alternator pulley. Now finish tightening the lower and upper alternator bolt.

As stated earlier make sure it is a marine alternator or you could end up with this:

Fire.jpeg

in your near future.