Shift shaft bushings New style?

dozerII

Admiral
Repairing the transom assembly on my 76 Mercruiser 120. I ordered a set of the new style shift shaft bushings for the bell housing. The ones I was sent are Sierra 18-2622 and I also found I had a set of Quick silver 23-805041A2 in both sets the upper busing and seals fit the shaft properly but the lower bushing is about a 1/16"too big on the inside dia. and is sloppy on the shaft. Is there an updated shaft to go with this, or is the bushing wrong?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: Shift shaft bushings New style?

I don't remember mine being super tight either. the upper seal was a nice fit but the lower was just a guide. I don't think the lower one is as critical.

How was the clearance on the old lower bushing?

Does your shaft look worn at all in that spot?

dozerII

Admiral

I don't remember mine being super tight either. the upper seal was a nice fit but the lower was just a guide. I don't think the lower one is as critical.

How was the clearance on the old lower bushing?

Does your shaft look worn at all in that spot?

Thanks for the reply Eric, the old lower bushing is nice and tight, and no wear on the shaft at all.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dozer could you recap the install when you get around to it? I have to pull my drive one more time this fall because I didn't glue in the big rubber oring and thought I would do the bushing as well for insurance.I had no water last time in the bellows but the added piece of mind is what I am after.-Blair

dozerII

Admiral

Dozer could you recap the install when you get around to it? I have to pull my drive one more time this fall because I didn't glue in the big rubber oring and thought I would do the bushing as well for insurance.I had no water last time in the bellows but the added piece of mind is what I am after.-Blair

Hey Blair, I decided to just replace the upper bushing as it has the extra seals and it was only the upper one that was worn on mine. I pressed it out with a large set of c clamp type vice grips and a couple of sockets a small one on top just a little smaller than the bushing and a larger one on the bottom that the bushing could fall into. To install the new one I had a 3/8" by 6" bolt in the bin I slid it through the lower bushing screwed a nut down onto the threads a little over an inch put a large flat washer on next then slid the new bushing on the end off the bolt and tapped it into the top of the housing, pull the bolt down remove the washer and nut and your good to go.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Cool Glen,thanks a lot. that sounds like a good method, I will def give that a try.