water pumps

71glasstron

Cadet
I am having an issue with the water pump. I know I am not moving water. What I am not sure of is the water pump the only pump or is there one in the out drive.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: water pumps

I am having an issue with the water pump. I know I am not moving water. What I am not sure of is the water pump the only pump or is there one in the out drive.

There is one raw water pump per engine. Alpha drives have them in the outdrive and Bravo drives are belt driven from the engine. Which type do you have?

thumpar

Admiral

There are 2 pumps. One is raw water to feed the cooling system and the other is the actual engine water pump like a car has.

alldodge

Staff member

There are 2 pumps. One is raw water to feed the cooling system and the other is the actual engine water Circulating pump like a car has.

Thanks for the clarification

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

From your earlier posts, sounds like you got a good deal on this boat, but sounds like it needs a bit of work. With minimal (or no) knowledge of the operating history of the boat and the outdrive, you need to get in tune with all the information you can in the stickies at the top of this forum ("adults only", etc) packed with good info for you. At a minimum, on a boat such as this, as far as the outdrive is concerned, you need to drain the drive oil, pull the drive off the boat, check the u-joints, bellows, etc. replace the water pump (impeller and housing), do a good pressure test for seal leaks. Then, maybe it will be good to splash. How is the motor?

Plus.... it makes it much easier to help you if we know the serial numbers of the outdrive and the engine. Lots of folks put that info in their signature block (I just havent gotten around to it...I'm such a procrastinator!!:lol:)

Best of luck!

Last edited: