3.0 Not taking fuel when under a load (I think)

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took boat out today for first time since I started working on it. First little while it ran fine opened up good. adjusted idle a little bit. was running later and when its under a load you have to ease it up or it will cut out. If you put it in neutral and give it the throttle it is fine it will rev up as much as you want it to. Once you put it in gear though if you give it throttle to fast it will be almost like you cut fuel off. I got home and put it on the muffs and it does the same thing. Is this a shift adjustment issue? If not what could it be?? Thanks

Its not like interuppter switch is kicking in its more like not getting the fuel unless its cutting it almost off I dont know

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 3.0 Not taking fuel when under a load (I think)

Need to take the carb apart and clean it real good. The slowing down under load tells me your jets a clogging up and your fuel is being restricted. The push down of the throttle and it stumbles tells me you have an accelerator pump issue. You need carb work. Get a carb kit and make sure you have a new accelerator pump and you should be good.

It's not the shift cable

jcbache

Seaman

Might want to check your fuel pressure too. Mechanical or electric pump? Clean fuel filter? Clean gas tank?

Last edited:

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class

carb was just rebuilt a couple of weeks ago by a friend who is pretty knowledgeable not to say something wasn't fouled up. Fuel pump is mechanical when i got boat I syphoned out old fuel but thats all I really did fuel tank is in floor how would I go about getting water or anything out would stabil do it. Put fresh gas in today. Fuel filters changed a couple weeks ago. Would the choke effect it at all. I noticed this evening the little tab that goes under tang on choke shaft is broken off. I guess its the tab that pushes choke closed

I also noticed this evening that I didn't put cotter pin back in the slot on the barrell nut and it was kicked out to the side a little bit.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral

Check the vent and anti-siphon too. Sure does sound like fuel delivery.

alldodge

Staff member

carb was just rebuilt a couple of weeks ago by a friend who is pretty knowledgeable not to say something wasn't fouled up. Fuel pump is mechanical when i got boat I syphoned out old fuel but thats all I really did fuel tank is in floor how would I go about getting water or anything out would stabil do it. Put fresh gas in today. Fuel filters changed a couple weeks ago. Would the choke effect it at all. I noticed this evening the little tab that goes under tang on choke shaft is broken off. I guess its the tab that pushes choke closed

I also noticed this evening that I didn't put cotter pin back in the slot on the barrell nut and it was kicked out to the side a little bit.

Nothing you put in bad gas will make it good. Once gas goes bad it stays that way, adding fresh gas to old will help your engine burn it but it will not perform right until it's all gone. Most fuel tanks pickup point is in the rear portion of the tank. If you remove the fuel sender (float) you can get to the remaining contents. You could also get most of it using a pump through the tanks fuel line.

So long as the choke is fully open and the engine has warmed up the choke would have no effect. Only if the choke was closing back off would effect performance.

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok thanks going to start checking all of this

harleyman1975

Ensign

I agree that you have a fuel issue. (water in fuel, worn out pump, restricted fuel line, clogged pick up in tank, low float level, accelerator pump out of adjustment, plugged fuel filter are places to look)

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class

it turned out to be shift adjustment was off. Barrell nut had came out and had the switch fouling up

alldodge

Staff member

it turned out to be shift adjustment was off. Barrell nut had came out and had the switch fouling up

It adds up with your first post of symptoms but sure didn't this one coming. Glad you got her going.