Re: Lower Shift Cable replacement on Pre-Alpha

dpaul47

Cadet

ezez, do you have the nail style hinge pin or the threaded type?
If it is the nail style I have pictures to show you exactly how to remove these with a cheap home-made tool

sorry for butting in but I just bought a old searay with the 888 mercruser outdrive and I have to replace all the boots and the lower shift cable.......I have found quite a few articles on how to do it but they all have threaded hinge pins and mine has what looks like a rivet with a small hole in the center....any help would be very welcome

dpaul47

Cadet

dpaul47

Cadet

thank you very much.that did the trick

I never did get those pins out...tried drilling but couldnt seem to get through the pin....trying now to get the gimbal bearing out but there seems to be a big snap ring holding it..my previous experience was the bearing was pressed in and you used a slide hammer to pull it out....does the snap ring come out or am I missing something?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

that is an oldie, yes you remove the snap ring first then the bearing. if original, brass shim stock will come out with it. install the new type with the tolerance ring and omit the snap ring and any brass shim stock.should you install the new type gimbal bearing install it slots aft so you can remove the bearing to grease it.
If its the new sealed bearing , just install it.

dpaul47

Cadet

thanks....I kind of figured the snap ring thing but didnt know about the brass shims or the fact that the snap ring doesnt go back in...Im working with the gimbal housing still in place because of those pins being such a pain in the butt...Ive gotten the old bellows out and figured the shift cable now just the gimbal bearing and I can start putting it back together......

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

gimbalgreasetool.jpg

dpaul47

Cadet

theres no ring like the one in the picture.I got the snap ring out but couldnt get the bearing pulled out using a slide hammer,,im going to have to rig something to pull it out because it is in there