HEI Ignition For 4.3--Reliable? Worth The Upgrade From Points?

jcbache

Seaman
Gathering up parts for a 4.3 replacement in my 93 Fisher. Does anyone have any input on a Delco Voyager HEI Ignition? New motor is a '99 Vortec longblock ( sans distributor), old parts motor is a '93 Mercruiser 4.3 Is it worth the $ to upgrade or is there some possible bugaboos associated with it? Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Re: HEI Ignition For 4.3--Reliable? Worth The Upgrade From Points?

Gathering up parts for a 4.3 replacement in my 93 Fisher. Does anyone have any input on a Delco Voyager HEI Ignition? New motor is a '99 Vortec longblock ( sans distributor), old parts motor is a '93 Mercruiser 4.3 Is it worth the $ to upgrade or is there some possible bugaboos associated with it? Thanks

The late DonS recommended the Delco system all the time. I would suggest the same as pretty much bullet proof

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... What's wrong with the T-Bolt IV that should be on the ole motor,..??

wrench 3

Commander

Slightly confused with your title "Worth the upgrade from points".
I may be old school, but I found no problem with a point ignition system. Clean the points and lub the rubbing block every spring, and they probably won't even need adjusting in the time most people keep a boat for. Although an electronic ignition will give you a stronger spark.
That said, I agree with Bondo, your old engine should have had an electronic ignition system that will do a good job.

jcbache

Seaman

Sorry for the dumb question! I bought the boat with no engine in it, so I've never seen the old distributor. I had a '87 Pro Line 21 Walk Around that had an OMC with points. I was thinking this Mercruiser had a points type ignition system. I posted the question here and asked you guys before researching it. The kit is on ebay and ending soon. I had to run out the door and go pick up my boat from work before the traffic got bad ( Wash. DC Area traffic sucks, even 30 miles south in Va.! Too many darn people!). Anyway, I'm hopefully gonna get the old motor from the PO ( he's a hard guy to get a hold of, so I'm thinking worst case scenario and having to gather up parts). I'm shelling out the dough for a reman long block (ouch!) so I'm thinking I might as well get a new HEI system. The old dist. may be fine. He wrestled the old motor out with a couple of his buddies. Didn't use any type of lift or hoist! Probably dumped the thing over the side of the boat onto the ground (there's a discernible dent on the gunwale, could have been where they plunked it down before pushing it overboard. I can picture the whole scenario!) Who knows. Any way, sounds like the Delco Voyager HEI is a good system. I'll probably lose the urge to buy it now. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

Wondering why all these guys selling HEI systems always say " Faulty Thunderbolt Ignitions"? I've been stuck out on the water before so... GM Delco 4 3L Electronic Distributor Kit V6 Volvo Mercruiser OMC Replacement | eBay

I would say the TB ignition is a good one, only reason the go to the Delco is IF the TB fails. The TB module cost around $400, so the Delco looks real good if you have to replace it.

jcbache

Seaman

Good to know. That's the type of info I was looking for. Thanks!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I would say the TB ignition is a good one, only reason the go to the Delco is IF the TB fails. The TB module cost around $400, so the Delco looks real good if you have to replace it.

And just on the QT, I know someone is developing new Ignition amplifiers for the TB-IV system, and if it's successful will be about half a new unit from Merc.

Chris.....

alldodge

Staff member

And just on the QT, I know someone is developing new Ignition amplifiers for the TB-IV system, and if it's successful will be about half a new unit from Merc.

Chris.....

Now that would be great :D Look forward to hearing about it.

jcbache

Seaman

It's amazing how many problems these "low maintenance" ignition systems have ( both in marine applications and automotive) . I've had to replace PCM's in a '05 Mazda Tribute ( Ford Escape) and a 04 Jeep Liberty in the last week at work. I think breaker-type ignitions, though maybe a little more maintenance, are probably more reliable! At least it's cheap to keep a spare coil and set of points ( and sandpaper or a file maybe) on board if you have an issue!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I grew up with vehicles with points and had only one failure that happened on my '65 VW Beetle. We had a '72 Chev Impala and '70 Ford Torino, both with points, neither ever broke down the road. I usually changed them once a year. In the boat I've changed them maybe 3 times over 10 years worth of boating. I would not change from points because the OMC ESA system was designed to work with them. Having said that Merc went to electronic years earlier so the Delco should work fine for you.

Spare points/condenser, screwdriver and a clean feeler gauge is all you need to get going again with points.

Last edited:

achris

It's amazing how many problems these "low maintenance" ignition systems have ( both in marine applications and automotive) . I've had to replace PCM's in a '05 Mazda Tribute ( Ford Escape) and a 04 Jeep Liberty in the last week at work. I think breaker-type ignitions, though maybe a little more maintenance, are probably more reliable! At least it's cheap to keep a spare coil and set of points ( and sandpaper or a file maybe) on board if you have an issue!

It's nothing to do with ' low maintenance'. It's more to do with efficiency and low emissions. Points can't adjust for different engine loads and fuel qualities or even variations in environmental conditions. That said, the maintenance on EFI is considerably less than a carburetor and points. And just like the house and buggy, you need the tools. And the tools for EFI are a scan tool or a computer with diagnostic software. Once you have those, and a little bit of experience, fixing EFI is just as easy as the old system.

Chris.....

jcbache

Seaman

I'm a fan of properly working EFI and Electronic Ignitions. I work on them every day. The Federal C.A.F.E ( Corporate Average Fuel Economy) requirements ( and associated Gas Guzzler Tax) imposed on vehicle manufacturers brought about EFI and all the associated parts and systems we have today. And of course the Fuel Mileage Wars between the manufacturers. I'm not a fan of the sometimes cheaply manufactured electronic control systems ( read ECM/PCM's) that some vehicle platforms ( and I suppose boats) have installed in them. Low bidder usually gets the contract. I know failure rate is generally not high. Efficiency ( and therefor power and low emissions) are generally unmatched by carbs/points. Having said that, when I'm out on the water, miles from shore and possibly miles from a tow, I like simple and reliable. Something I won't need my Snap On scanner for and maybe a spare ecm or module. I guess when you have to mess with broken stuff all the time you end up a little paranoid about everything that could go wrong when all you really want to do is catch a fish!

Last edited:

wrench 3

Commander

I guess when you have to mess with broken stuff all the time you end up a little paranoid about everything that could go wrong when all you really want to do is catch a fish!

The worst thing about being a mechanic and a boater is that your always listening to the motor. Every time the water conditions change so does the engine sound. It,ll drive you up the wall if you let it!
A VHF radio will help. Boaters are a great bunch and if you can raise a boat close to you, they will most likely be glad to give you a tow.

achris

The worst thing about being a mechanic and a boater is that your always listening to the motor. Every time the water conditions change so does the engine sound. It,ll drive you up the wall if you let it!
A VHF radio will help. Boaters are a great bunch and if you can raise a boat close to you, they will most likely be glad to give you a tow.

Yep... :facepalm:

I just blew an IAC, and I heard something 'different' about the engine hours before the ECU shut me down to 90% and gave me the warning beeps... But that's one of the nice things about the ECUs. They will try and get you home, unlike points/carbs, which just shutdown and don't give you a chance....

Just MY 2c worth... ;)