Replacing Engine With non carburetor

thumpar

Admiral
Re: Replacing Engine With non carburetor

Do you mean replacing a carburetor engine with EFI setup or replacing an EFI with an EFI engine. The blocks are the same over many years if you stick with the correct generation. Need much more info. The boat brand and model doesn't matter. Post serial numbers if you can.

Martine Brucheau

Seaman Apprentice

Okay , Thanks, I will get on that asap tomorrow, I just would rather not deal with carburetor

thumpar

Admiral

It sounds like you want to switch from carb to EFI. There is nothing wrong with a carb. You would spend half the price of the boat to get an EFI swap.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I just switched from 2 carbed 350's to two 350 MPI's. (EFI) Carbs are fine and as thumpar pointed out switching to EFI is expensive. If however, you have the funds AND Merc makes a carbed version and an EFI version of the same motor then the answer is yes. There is nothing inherently different except one motor will have a carb and one will be fuel injected with a computer. Think better mpg, more and smoother power, easier starts etc. This is of course assuming you would be switching out like size engine blocks and drives. Once in a while you'll find something odd as I did when I made the switch from 22 year old carbed motors to MPI's. The power steering ram had been re-designed and also had to be replaced to fit the new power packages.

alldodge

Staff member

Agree with all, carb and EFI both work well (Have one of each), personally I like turn the key and she fires up. Converted my cruiser from carb 7.4 to 8.2 EFI, it cost but really like it.

Bondo

Staff member

Can this be down? Is better or worst?

95 Glastron SSV 175

Ayuh,.... Considerin' the 3.0l Efi is a new comer, it shouldn't set ya back much more than ya paid for yer boat,...

Maclin

Admiral

I think even after switching out everything and going from Carb to EFI the boat could still stall after hitting a sandbar, just sayin'.

thumpar

Admiral

Now it all makes sense. The carb is not the issue hitting stuff is. My 2.5l carbed motor responded perfectly. Only difference with the EFI I have now is starting.

Maclin

Admiral

My carbed 4bbl V8 starts at first crank with no throttle needed unless it has sat more than a month, then I have to pump it once and crank one more time, not all that of an irritation to me I guess.

thumpar

Admiral

My carbed 4bbl V8 starts at first crank with no throttle needed unless it has sat more than a month, then I have to pump it once and crank one more time, not all that of an irritation to me I guess.

Yea, I wasn't trying to say it was hard to start just different. On my 2.5l I had it down and would start right up.

Maclin

Admiral

Yeah Thump, no problem, I had a different post in mind when I wrote that one. A well setup carb is a wonderful thing :)