Gimbal Bearing Not Aligned

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi. I tried to install my gimbal bearing using one of the (american made) ebay tools. Unfortunetly I only saw the shinny aluminum grease seal installation tool. So I hammered the gimbal bearing in with that which was just big enough to hit the outer seal, but barely.

Then I tried to stick the alignment tool in which was way off. I noticed the inner bearing was angled. Not sure how or when this happened. At the time I thought it was because I used the wrong tool. So I then unfortunetly took the slide hammer back out and removed the brand new bearing.

I lightly tapped the inner bearing to line up with the outer seal. Now dry fitting it, it lines up perfectly.

Question is, is it safe to reuse this bearing? These damn things are expensive and I really hope to hear its ok. I know, no guarantees and you guys always answer on the safe side. But how high is the risk?

Thanks

thumpar

Admiral
Re: Gimbal Bearing Not Aligned

I would say it is not recommended. You didn't have to take the bearing out. All you had to do is use the alignment bar to get the bearing where it needed to be.

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW, this is a permalube bearing for Bravo 1 - if that makes any difference

I now realize I shouldn't have removed the entire thing.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Turn the bearing and feel for any sign of roughness. If it feels nice and smooth I would use it. Its most likely fine. Worse case you find it needs replaced sooner than it might have with gentler treatment. Its not that hard to change.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

It is a gimbal bearing, which means it is free to turn in the outer housing so you can adjust the angel to align with the coupler. It should be fine, just use the tool to align it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

So I hammered the gimbal bearing in with that which was just big enough to hit the outer seal, but barely.
No seals on a gimbal bearing, just the outer ring. Using the wrong tool may not seat the bearing completely.

Last edited by a moderator:

tpenfield

Staff member

Yup, the bearing should be installed by the outer flange and not by pressure or impact on the bearing race itself. So, I think it may be a crap shoot as to the longevity of the bearing given the way it was initially installed.

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It feels completly smooth and no visual differences can be seen. The inner bearing is slightly offset to one side more than the other, but I think that is by design.

It's not really the original install that causes my concerns. It's the fact that I took it back out with a slide hammer and that pulled on the bearing. I now realize I should have left it in place and used the alignment tool to "align" the bearing. I think I'm going to re-use it. Other opinions welcome...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

It feels completly smooth and no visual differences can be seen. The inner bearing is slightly offset to one side more than the other, but I think that is by design.

Nope, its centered all the way around,not offset.

Last edited by a moderator:

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nope, its centered all the way around,not offset.

Let me clarify that: The bearing is offset when looking at the side view. It is slightly offset towards the front of the boat. But I assume it can move a little in place to allow it to pivot side to side as explained above.

I was thinking you have to take the bellows off to replace the bearing in the future. If it fails, I agree its not to bad to replace if you don't have to remove the bellows.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I don't think you quite get it yet. The bearing is free to move in ALL directions within the outer housing. It really consists of two parts. The inner bearing (inner race, balls and outer race), and the outer shell. The outer part of the bearing is ground in a convex radius and the inside of the outer shell is ground concave to match. So the bearing is free to turn in any direction at any angle within the outer shell. You can stick the tool in there and with a little effort move the bearing in any direction you like. When they are assembled the bearing slides into the shell through the slots in the back of the shell.

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, now I understand the design. I'll check to make sure it pivots freely and make a decision from there...

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

It won't pivot easily. Read the adult only section on engine alignment, specically on "setting the gimble bearing" which is just another way of saying "swivel inner core of gimble bearing to line up with coupler of engine." It is stiff and only moves with the 2ft long alignment bar inserted and bumped with heel of hand.if the bearing spins smoothly, the gimble action of the bearing should be fine.