electrinic ignition 488 merc

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: electrinic ignition 488 merc

I think I have my answer, it's a water cooled voltage regulator. My next question is other than replacing the regulator and inspecting and replacing the water impeller what elce should I do. What would cause the regulator to melt like that, stator maybe?

Wait a minute, if you have an alternator, you do not need the water cooled regulator. Your alternator has a built in regulator. The old regulator need not be replaced. If the two yellow stator wires are still attached, removed them, tape the ends and tuck them out of the way.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral

Wait a minute, if you have an alternator, you do not need the water cooled regulator. Your alternator has a built in regulator. The old regulator need not be replaced. If the two yellow stator wires are still attached, removed them, tape the ends and tuck them out of the way.

From looking at the picture of the front of the engine he doesn't have an alternator.

roffey

Commander

From looking at the picture of the front of the engine he doesn't have an alternator.

I don't think it has an alternator, I believe I have a stator. Since the start of this post I have looked a lot closer at the motor and have did a little research. I think what I have is a stator connected to a water cooled voltage regulator. Funny though the boat worked fine last time out. I wonder if I could change it to a alternator setup?

thumpar

Admiral

I don't think it has an alternator, I believe I have a stator. Since the start of this post I have looked a lot closer at the motor and have did a little research. I think what I have is a stator connected to a water cooled voltage regulator. Funny though the boat worked fine last time out. I wonder if I could change it to a alternator setup?
If you had an alternator it would run off a belt. There are some kits to convert to alternator. Breezeworks is the only one that I know off the top of my head.

roffey

Commander

after a little more checking around I find the 470 are quirky motors and the stator and water cooled regulator is one of them. Burning them up like mine is common and the motor will still run. I have two options, one replace the regulator or two convert it over to an alternator. The conversion I don't believe is that difficult or expensive, under $500. Feel free to tell me if I am wrong, keep in mind I started this post thinking I had an alternator. I know enough to make me dangerous, LOL.

roffey

Commander

If you had an alternator it would run off a belt. There are some kits to convert to alternator. Breezeworks is the only one that I know off the top of my head.

The power stering ruins off the fly wheel and I could make a bracket. I was thinking leave the stator fab a bracket and hook up a auto alternator or am I making it to simple?

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral

You should be able to find the Breezeworks kit for around $300 US. They make a high mount and low mount to fit most boats.

thumpar

Admiral

The power stering ruins off the fly wheel and I could make a bracket. I was thinking leave the stator fab a bracket and hook up a auto alternator or am I making it to simple?
The flywheel is on the back of the motor. What you are seeing is the stator with a pulley on the front. The kits are basically an alternator, brackets and wiring. Everything you need to convert. DO NOT use an auto alternator. It is not marine rated and has no spark protection. Just this year the Sheriff had a boat Kaboom because of that at our lake.

roffey

Commander

Your advice is great, I read in a past post you converted the same motor? So if I read you right, I can connect the alternator to the pulley and leave the stator where it is but I must use a marine grade alternator...

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Duhhhhhh.....Guess i should have looked at the photo:facepalm: thanks for pointing that out T. OK first question, does it charge when the engine is running? Battery should read about 14 volts with the engine running. If it is not charging go with the alternator conversion as thumpar suggests. I am really happy with my breezeworks ( Breezeworks ) kit.

Attachments

• 100_9597-1.jpg
    100_9597-1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 0

roffey

Commander

The last time I had the boat out all worked fine. It was a bit of a wet day and I was about 10 miles from the ramp so I took it as a good opportunity to open her up and scoot back to the ramp. I was about 4800 rpm and 51 mph (love the top end) the motor sort of stumbled and picked back up but my top end was about 47... I thought slow down I am running a older boat a little to hard. I trailered the boat and since then winterized it and it sits in my garage. As you know winterizing this boat is easy as I just have to drain the heat exchanger and I'm done. I read on the Breezeworks web site about the water cooled regulator and how prone they are to melt down, just like mine and they still work. So I was thinking as my winter project I would convert it. Your motor looks the same as mine so I have lots of experience to work with. I'll snap a few pics as I go.

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Good idea! Just to get the terminology correct, the pulley in front is the rotor, the stator is an assembly of coils bolted to the block. Magnets in the inside of the rotor rotate around the stator generating electric current.

I had my original set up for quite a few years before I switched it over. I had no regrets either way when I had both setups, if my factory charging system kept going I'd still be running it. No belt to worry about ;) although I do keep a new spare belt in the tool box....

I say if it ain't broke... don't go looking for trouble, but do keep a good eye on your volts gauge. Know what's normal and you'll know when it's time to upgrade...

roffey

Commander

Good idea! Just to get the terminology correct, the pulley in front is the rotor, the stator is an assembly of coils bolted to the block. Magnets in the inside of the rotor rotate around the stator generating electric current.

Until this thread I thought I had a alternator, LOL. This has been a learning post. I know a little about motors and am not afraid to get my hands dirty. I question is, do you people think I could fab the brackets or am I just as well to purchase the kit?

Until this thread I thought I had a alternator, LOL. This has been a learning post. I know a little about motors and am not afraid to get my hands dirty. I question is, do you people think I could fab the brackets or am I just as well to purchase the kit?

Well we don't know your ability to fab up stuff....It is very doable..... I made my own brackets in a few hours.. used a front cover gasket for a template for the bracket. and bought a marine alternator (delco 10si) online. used some wire to measure the belt. and viola done deal.. It can be done.. I used this one as a guide for mine: I made the exact same brackets...

Mercruiser 470 Alternator Conversion Kit Sale | eBay

Last edited:

roffey

Commander

I understand what you mean, what's easy for some is almost impossible for others. What I meant was is it doable, from what you say it is (and I wont hold you to it, LOL)

roffey

Commander

one last question and then I will let this thread rest and leave you guys alone... the alternator I am looking for is...

Marine Alternator - 63 AMP - Single Wire