electrinic ignition 488 merc

roffey

Commander
I was draining the water from my Thundercraft 488r (470), as instructed I drained the water from the heat exchanger. While down there I noticed a module that was connected to the alternator was completely burnt. Could this be an electronic ignition component? It was connected directly to the alternator and is behind the heat exchanger. I tried to take some pictures but they did not turn out, I'll give it a try on Sunday. Any ideas' what it is? Sorry for being so vague. I will take the part off and take pictures, but this is so completely burnt I think it will come off in bits.

Re: electrinic ignition 488 merc

Sounds like your referring to the voltage regulator. If you are running a belt driven alternator... (which is an aftermarket add-on), then the VR is no longer used.

roffey

Commander

Sounds like your referring to the voltage regulator. If you are running a belt driven alternator... (which is an aftermarket add-on), then the VR is no longer used.
That sort of makes sense as the boat ran fine last time out. I will take the part off on Sunday and provide a pic. Thanks for the info...

roffey

Commander

sitting here thinking, having a beverage, LOL, probably doing to much of both. Should I disconnect and remove the part as it is most likely not used?

thumpar

Admiral

They are water cooled, so could have water lines if not fully bypassed. Have you looked to see if you have an alternator? I would think so because you don't have any issues.

roffey

Commander

I know enough about motors to make me dangerous so with that in mind I do have an alternator. I thought all motors with a starter and battery had an alternator (inboard) or stator (outboards) feel free to correct me here.

thumpar

Admiral

The motor you have originally ran a stator. It is an oddball motor that Merc designed. The head is from a Ford 460.

matt167

Captain

The motor you have originally ran a stator. It is an oddball motor that Merc designed. The head is from a Ford 460.

Pistons+ Rods were 460 parts also

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Yeah eric is right. It's what is left of the old water cooled voltage regulator. Water flows from the impeller in the outdrive through a copper tube on the back of the regulator. Best bet leave it alone it provides good support for the hose.

If this is a new to you boat, change the impeller in the outdrive first chance you get. Overheating is the #1 killer of 470's. Best way to prevent overheat is change the impeller every other year. Welcome to the 470 club:facepalm::D

roffey

Commander

this did not post the first time so if I double post forgive me. My boat is tucked away in my garage for the winter. I have some soft spots in the floor. I plan on changing all fluids and filters with the impeller over the winter. I know you guys love pictures so I will post a few in a different form when I pull the floor out. Thanks for the advice, you people sure know your motors and boats

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

It was connected directly to the alternator and is behind the heat exchanger.

That concerns me a little. Sounds like the po connected the alternator to the output of the regulator. Best bet would to consider rewiring it to completely bypass the regulator. Is the alternator connected to an orange wire? If you get a chance a photo would be good. Here is a manual for your engine Boatinfo - Mercruiser Service Manual nr. 8 - 1985-1989 - Mercury Marine 4 Cylinder Engines

roffey

Commander

Thanks, I booked marked it. I will take pics tomorrow and post. I have the back seat out in prep for the new floor so I should be able to get some good pictures.

roffey

Commander

... and the subject drives me nuts " electrinic" what is that, LOL. I think It's the part that makes a 4 banger output 188hp. Ha ha .

thumpar

Admiral

... and the subject drives me nuts " electrinic" what is that, LOL. I think It's the part that makes a 4 banger output 188hp. Ha ha .
Do you have electronic ignition?

roffey

Commander

OK I have the pictures, I did label some so correct me please if I am wrong. I don't believe I have an alternator. I mistook the flywheel for the alternator. The last time I had the boat out it worked great.
IMG_0209_zps0d3571a8.jpgIMG_0210_zps0eae59af.jpgIMG_0211_zpsd2ba770d.jpgIMG_0213_zps3e8c45a4.jpgIMG_0214_zpse4f3986a.jpg

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Holy moly! Someone ran that without water for a while. Bet your exhaust shutters are gone, and check the rubber exhaust bellows in back of the engine for damage. Can't really see too much, but if it is charging OK, I would remove the wire from the regulator and just splice them together. With that much damage I would think there could be the possibility of a short developing in there. Just to be safe I would do a compression check to make sure the head gasket is OK, which is something all new 470 owners should do.

roffey

Commander

The po did not seem to know much about this boat or boats in general. I can say.the boat ran fine last time I had it out.
Can you tell me what the part is? It kooks like it melted. I did disconnect the battery when I noticed the burnt part and thanks for.the help so far.

thumpar

Admiral

You might want to consider going with an alternator conversion.

roffey

Commander

I would consider it, infact if you
peoplethink I should I Will. Do you know what the burnt part is?

roffey

Commander

I think I have my answer, it's a water cooled voltage regulator. My next question is other than replacing the regulator and inspecting and replacing the water impeller what elce should I do. What would cause the regulator to melt like that, stator maybe?

Last edited: