Mercruiser 120, alpha one. trim problems (I've searched and searched)

Nutlojaz

Cadet
First of all this forums is awesome so far this being my first post I've been lurking for a bit.

Anyhow I have the three button setup, Up, up and out and in. When I press the top two "trailer up" the motor sometimes runs, it's already in the up position. , but my up and down functions Don't work at all. I tried bypassing the trim limit switch with a jump to no avail.

My next step is to clean any and all connections. I'm just wondering what ideas you experienced users have. Btw my tp sensor is a dummy I have no gauge.

The ms in advance,
Brad

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercruiser 120, alpha one. trim problems (I've searched and searched)

Have you had the hoses off at all? Is this a single or dual solenoid system? What work has been done to the system?

Nutlojaz

Cadet

I haven't fully removed the hoses but I did crack one from the pump itself to check for oil, clean oil came out. I did this to check because I don't even see where to check the level. As far as work being done I'm not sure previously, but nothing on the system from myself or my father in law he had it the rear prior to me. I believe it's a single solenoid.

achris

If it's an older setup then you need to make sure you're not in REVERSE. There's a reverse lock valve and you should check that, if you have one.

Chris....

Nutlojaz

Cadet

Thanks Chris, it's definitely older. Do you mean the motor itself is in reverse gear? I tried posting a pic, but can't figure out how once I've selected it from my phone.

Nutlojaz

Cadet

Ok so it's running with the bottom button and middle button separately while jumped. But doesn't actually go down? I'll dig more into it tomorrow I know the trim limit is in op now, but any ideas why it wouldn't go down?

Nutlojaz

Cadet

Scratch that it just took a bit to catch up and bleed! Now I can't get it up although pump runs. Low oil?

achris

Scratch that it just took a bit to catch up and bleed! Now I can't get it up although pump runs. Low oil?

Low oil would be my first bet.

71glasstron

Cadet

I have the same setup and had the same issue. Mine was low oil stuck seals and trim limiter switch was no good It won't go if it is no good try jumping it if all others are ok

Nutlojaz

Cadet

I Finally got it down lots of air and added some oil. It also comes up now just slow. Thanks for everything guys