Mercruiser exhaust and valve cover gaskets

sitkamick

Seaman
I am getting ready to put my newly painted engine back in and was wondering if there are some better valve cover gaskets besides cork? The engine has the old style four bolts on the outside of the cover. Also wondering where is a good place to get the gaskets. The engine is a 350 chevy that the previous owner put in. The rebuilt engine came from Spokane, WA and not being the original engine I have no serial number or at least not able to find it. Exhaust manifold gasket is another question as well. Are there some good and some not so good? Being as I wish to do this once, I want to have good products. I have a local NAPA parts and Carquest here to get my parts so not real good choices.
Would appreciate any help, part numbers, and any other suggestions.
Thank you so much.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser exhaust and valve cover gaskets

I have a local NAPA parts and Carquest here to get my parts so not real good choices.

Actually those are pretty good choices. The valve cover gasket is not marine specific. There are many suppliers of aftermarket performance gaskets that are made of urethane, etc. Some even have built in metal spacers to avoid the gasket being crushed too much.

thumpar

Admiral

Napa uses sierra part numbers for Mercruiser parts. They are also good about helping find the correct part. Take in your serial number and they can look it up.

sitkamick

Seaman

Thank you, that helps alot. Could you tell me where I might get some part numbers for the gaskets, and I am not familiar with the urethane gaskets, the main thing is I don't want to have to overtighen and at the same time, no leaks.

sitkamick

Seaman

One other thing, is there a way that I could identify my engine? A place where I might find a serial number. I don't know if all GM engines had a serial number on them somewhere or not, though it seems to me that they would.

Bondo

Staff member

Thank you, that helps alot. Could you tell me where I might get some part numbers for the gaskets, and I am not familiar with the urethane gaskets, the main thing is I don't want to have to overtighen and at the same time, no leaks.

Ayuh,..... I do Alota business with my local Napa,....
'n I'm Lucky enough that there's a few really, Really Sharp parts guys behind the counter,...

While I don't have the part number, a pretty good parts guy should easily be able to get ya a set of the silicone rubber valve cover gaskets,...
It a SBC, with the 4 perimeter bolts covers is all he's gotta know,...

For the exhaust manifold gaskets, tell 'im ya want a set of Fel-Pro # 1404.....
They're the full length, 1 piece carbon metallic gaskets,... ;)

sitkamick

Seaman

Thank you to all for the information. Looks like NAPA is going to be the place for me:)

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Just a tip...When installing valve cover gaskets i use permatex hi-tack and brush the hi-tack on the valve cover rim...let it set up till it gets tacky then place the gasket in the cover... let it set up for a few....then place the valve cover on the head. I also use those little spreader washers with the bolts. Snug down....do not over tighten.

Im a firm Believer in Felpro gaskets.

sitkamick

Seaman

Bondo

I asked at my local NAPA store for the Fel-Pro #1404 exhaust gasket and they had a Fel-Pro #1444 gasket. Do you know if that one would work for me?

Bondo

Staff member

Bondo

I asked at my local NAPA store for the Fel-Pro #1404 exhaust gasket and they had a Fel-Pro #1444 gasket. Do you know if that one would work for me?

I have No idea what the 1444 gasket is,....

I Do know the 1404 works,....

My Napa has to order 'em,...

Ya need a single piece gasket to get it into place,...
Many of the automotive apps are multi-piece,...

sitkamick

Seaman

Thanks Bondo,
I found this on the Summit Racing Equipment FYI.
Port height and width on the #1404 is 1.500"
Port height and width on the #1444 is 1.380"
Looks to me that the #1444 would restrict the flow of exhaust a little. Maybe for a stock engine it might be usable but I am going to take your advise and have them order the #1404. Just for fun, I am going to measure my exhaust ports and see for sure.

Thanks again