4.3 mercruiser water in oil! Am i paranoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzy1967

Cadet
Hello,
I have a 4.3 mercusier that i have owned since march of this year. Boat ran great all summer long, like a sewing machine. i went to winterize it sunday and unscrewed the oil flter and grayish-tanish (depending on how the sunlight hit it) came out. drained the oil out of the pan and it was also the same color. took the oil filler neck off of the valve cover and had some "crisco" like material in it. engine does not run hot. one thing i did notice, is that the starboard side manifold gets warmer than the other. i did a compression check on it and it was between 120-132 psi on all cylinders.
one spark plug was alot cleaner than the rest it was the No 1 cylinder.
i have heard of putting some diesel fuel in the oil and a couple of oil changes later to clear up the water.

Any thoughts?
thanks in advance
Ben

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 4.3 mercruiser water in oil! Am i paranoid?

You can try cleaning the engine with diesel, then putting new oil in, but I would suspect a cracked engine block. You bought it in March, just after winter... Maybe the PO found out he (or someone else) hadn't winterised it properly and was looking to unload the boat as quickly as possible.

That's my thoughts...

Grizzy1967

Cadet

Forgot to mention. The level on the dipstick doesn't rise.

achris

Forgot to mention. The level on the dipstick doesn't rise.

Doesn't need much water to make the oil milky. Pressure test the engine block/heads....

Bondo

Staff member

Hello,
I have a 4.3 mercusier that i have owned since march of this year. Boat ran great all summer long, like a sewing machine. i went to winterize it sunday and unscrewed the oil flter and grayish-tanish (depending on how the sunlight hit it) came out. drained the oil out of the pan and it was also the same color. took the oil filler neck off of the valve cover and had some "crisco" like material in it. engine does not run hot. one thing i did notice, is that the starboard side manifold gets warmer than the other. i did a compression check on it and it was between 120-132 psi on all cylinders.
i have heard of putting some diesel fuel in the oil and a couple of oil changes later to clear up the water.

Any thoughts?
thanks in advance
Ben

Ayuh,.... How Much oil/ sludge did ya remove,..??

Fresh oil is a better flush than diesel fuel, less apt to ruin anything too,...

thumpar

Admiral

I would pressure test the cooling side. It could be a few things. The 4.3l has been know to blow intake manifold gaskets.

Grizzy1967

Cadet

Thank y'all. I'm sure I can use the search function but y'all wouldn't happen to know a link or something to a thread about checking the coolant system of a 4.3 lx gen+? Like which hose to plug and whatnot.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You should check the oil before each trip. If you didn't and this is the first time oil inspection, it could be condensation. The color doesn't sound right though. The fact that the level didn't rise is a good sign. I would change the oil and run the beJeezus out of it, then inspect the oil. If you had a serious leak and ran all season (depends on hours) the oil level would have raised.

Grizzy1967

Cadet

Ayuh,.... How Much oil/ sludge did ya remove,..??

Fresh oil is a better flush than diesel fuel, less apt to ruin anything too,...

I didnt take a sample and let it settle or anything like that. So I couldn't really answer that question the oil/water that I did get out of it I would rub in my finger tip and it would somewhat bead up.

achris

Thank y'all. I'm sure I can use the search function but y'all wouldn't happen to know a link or something to a thread about checking the coolant system of a 4.3 lx gen+? Like which hose to plug and whatnot.

What is the engine serial number? From that we can guide you. Without it, only guessing...

Grizzy1967

Cadet

You should check the oil before each trip. If you didn't and this is the first time oil inspection, it could be condensation. The color doesn't sound right though. The fact that the level didn't rise is a good sign. I would change the oil and run the beJeezus out of it, then inspect the oil. If you had a serious leak and ran all season (depends on hours) the oil level would have raised.

I did check the oil level every outing and it never came up or down on the dipstick for that matter. In fact it never even looked milky on the dipstick. Just when I drained it is when I noticed it.

Grizzy1967

Cadet

PHP:

What's y'all's thoughts on the "crisco" material in the valve cover and the starboard side exhaust manifold being warmer to touch than the other side?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

How clean was the plug? Was the ceramic tan or snow white? The plug should normally be tan or brown, but if you are getting some water into the cylinder it will be "steam cleaned" white. If it is tan and just seems "cleaner" than the others it should be OK.

Grizzy1967

Cadet

How clean was the plug? Was the ceramic tan or snow white? The plug should normally be tan or brown, but if you are getting some water into the cylinder it will be "steam cleaned" white. If it is tan and just seems "cleaner" than the others it should be OK.

It was tan. The others were blackened and had a little bit of oil deposits on them.

achris

You have a hose coming from behind the engine. Disconnect that hose and use it as your pressurising end. You will also have a hose going to the bottom of each exhaust manifold from the thermostat housing. Remove those hoses (2) from each of the manifolds and plug them. You're now ready to pressure test...

Chris.......

Grizzy1967

Cadet

Thanks Chris
Pressure to about 15psi? And how long should it hold it?

achris

Thanks Chris
Pressure to about 15psi? And how long should it hold it?

Theoretically? Forever... Realistically, just hold it for about 30 minutes.... If it's leaking, you'll hear it!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

PHP:

What's y'all's thoughts on the "crisco" material in the valve cover and the starboard side exhaust manifold being warmer to touch than the other side?

Probably just a little condensation mixing with some oil in the valve cover, forms a thick emulsion. Just wipe it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.