Is it worth rebuilding 1973 in-line 6, 250 cubic inch, saltwater use or go new block?

hollycoco1969

Recruit
i have a 1973 Hi-Liner Gypsy with a 250 cubic inch in-line I/O. I did a compression test and the results are as follows for each cylinder 1 - 6:

1. 81
2. 75
3. 90
4. 86
5. 86
6. 75

With this older engine being subject to salt water with scale and corrosion in the block, is it worth rebuilding or buying new?

matt167

Captain
Re: Is it worth rebuilding 1973 in-line 6, 250 cubic inch, saltwater use or go new bl

Does it still run? With numbers that low, it will be hard to start and run like a turd.. If it runs good, I would check with another gauge..

You won't know if it's rebuildable till you mic the bores.. There is no shortage of Chevy 250 internals, so if you can punch it out to clean up the cylinders and the water jackets are not rotted out, than it's probably good to go.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Is it worth rebuilding 1973 in-line 6, 250 cubic inch, saltwater use or go new bl

With this older engine being subject to salt water with scale and corrosion in the block, is it worth rebuilding or buying new?

These engines are pretty stout and last a long time - even in salt water. Are you planning on doing this rebuild yourself or hiring it out? If yourself, then go ahead and tear it down. THEN you can evaluate what you have and what needs to be done. It can be re-bored and completely rebuilt for not too much money. I've done a couple myself. They are pretty easy and straight froward to work on.