Need help dianosing water drip behing port side drain plug - have video

mattisk

Recruit
I went to flush and put antifreeze into my 2008 mercruiser mag 350 engine. It has 2 blue drain plugs on either fron side of the engine and 1 blue drain plug top middle by thermostat. Anyway, we flushed and drained fine, but afterwards a noticed a drip coming from the portside drain plug, I went to tighten it and the drip because more frequent. I swapped the drain plug with the top middle plug, and still the same results. I then put some teflon tape on the drain plug and reinserted, same result. I took a video with my Iphone -hope I can post it, and it shows the drip coming from right behind the plug. Can anyone comment on what this might be? The parts manual seem to say its my water distribution housing, but I can not get a clear picture of it from underneath. And I do not remember it dripping before. I am having trouble with youtube, will upload shortly.

Last edited:

agallant80

Commander
Re: Need help dianosing water drip behing port side drain plug - have video

Well that is a good one. I was going to say try another plug, there is a little black O-ring on it that may have come off but I would think the teflon tape would fix it. I guess stranger things have happened. See if the O-ring is there.

mattisk

Recruit

Well, I actually ran the video in slow motion, and I think I see a droplet of water originating from the drain plug but then it looks like it gravitates to the nottom of the water distribution unit.

Bondo

Staff member

I went to flush and put antifreeze into my 2008 mercruiser mag 350 engine. It has 2 blue drain plugs on either fron side of the engine and 1 blue drain plug top middle by thermostat. Anyway, we flushed and drained fine, but afterwards a noticed a drip coming from the portside drain plug, I went to tighten it and the drip because more frequent. I swapped the drain plug with the top middle plug, and still the same results. I then put some teflon tape on the drain plug and reinserted, same result. I took a video with my Iphone -hope I can post it, and it shows the drip coming from right behind the plug. Can anyone comment on what this might be? The parts manual seem to say its my water distribution housing, but I can not get a clear picture of it from underneath. And I do not remember it dripping before. I am having trouble with youtube, will upload shortly.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... That's system, Sucks,...

Mercruiser has really created more problems than they fixed with it,...

That "water distribution housing" is plastic, 'n cracks quite easily, 'n quite often,....

I've seen more than a few that have been epoxied, with varyin' results,...

Last edited:

mattisk

Recruit

SO, if you've seen this before, should I epoxy or replace. The part looks to be 150$ and if they don't have to remove the engine, Im thinking 200$ to install?

Bondo

Staff member

SO, if you've seen this before, should I epoxy or replace. The part looks to be 150$ and if they don't have to remove the engine, Im thinking 200$ to install?

Ayuh,... The only way to know is pull it out, 'n look it over closely,....

Because I've seen it before, don't always means yer's is the same problem,...

Maybe you can get a closer look with more pictures,...

Pull the plug out, 'n inspect the threads, 'n seat,...