Pull B3 and check for alignment or not.

agallant80

Commander
Just wondering what the consensus would be on pulling the drive or not. The drive was pulled by the dealer about 4 months or 30 hours ago due to a faulty upper that needed to be replaced. I am laying her up for the winter on Friday and am wondering if pulling the drive to check for alignment would me worth it or not. On the same line is the gear lube and oil. The oil has about 20 hours on it and the gear lube has about 30.

Thanks.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pull B3 and check for alignment or not.

I think this falls into the category of "its up to you" if a seal went in the past 20 hours and you got water in your drive and it freezes in your area.
You have trouble. if drive oil pristine, you are fine doing nothing. The drive pull is different. Not just for alignment, but time to check condition of all bellows, spin the gimble bearing, check u-joints, how old is water pump? Shift cable? If all checked out 20 hours ago you probably are fine. Your boat your call.

I live in a short boating season climate. Prefer working on boat in November rather than July:)

agallant80

Commander

The boat is bran new this year so I am not worried about bellows, gimble or u-joints. Should I be concerned on a new boat?

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

sorry, I just checked out your profile and see your 2013 boat id. sure that would change my opinion.

I have to ask how the upper needed replaced.......factory defect? at any rate your under warranty and trusting the dealer knows what he is doing.....I would just ask him. (he is the one backing up his work and warranty.)

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

^^^ agree with this.

In this case being brand new and under warranty, especially since you already had that one item, I would see what the book has to say for service recommendations on a brand new boat along with the servicing dealer in case you have another warranty issue next year.

Mark

agallant80

Commander

sorry, I just checked out your profile and see your 2013 boat id. sure that would change my opinion.

I have to ask how the upper needed replaced.......factory defect? at any rate your under warranty and trusting the dealer knows what he is doing.....I would just ask him. (he is the one backing up his work and warranty.)

There was a defect in one of the gears on the upper. It was cast inproperly causing a bubble in the metal. A tooth broke loose breaking other teeth loose destroying the cone clutch and everything else in the upper. Mercruiser sent the dealer a whole new upper (no rebuilding of the old upper). They told me they checked the alighment when they pulled the drive and it was good.

Now that I think of it I should change the gear lube incase they did not get all of the mettal out of the lower (assuming some made its way down there)