motor mount question

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
How are the motor mounts secured to the hull? my port side front mounting bolt (or lag not sure) is in at a slight angle.So the entire head of the fastener is not flush to the bottom bracket of the motor mount. There does not seem to be any excess vibration of the engine and I just noticed by chance really.I think it is unlikely it came this way from the factory but not sure. Is this a problem? If so how to remedy the issue,I think just cranking it down would strip it if it is a lag.Thanks-Blair

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: motor mount question

I do not think you have an issue. The stringers would have been pre-drilled before the lag bolts were run in. If they did not get the pilot hole exactly squared to the stringer, it would result in what you mention. I would not force the lag beyond tight. You could back the lag out and check the condition of the threads.

When I had my OMC stringer assy out of my boat, the threads on the zinc plated lags were half gone. I repeatedly soaked all the holes with penetrating epoxy, then replaced them all with stainless lags. Over the years, water will follow the threads down into the holes and both deteriorate the threads and the wood adjacent to them.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with the cowboy. He is shooting straight!

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What kind of epoxy did you use? I will probably get around to that next fall.Any tips on application of epoxy would be appreciated.Thanks for the replies!-Blair