Alpha One Outdrive Pressure Loss

Chemdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replaced all the seals in the upper outdrive, and most in the lower unit. I made my own pressure tester, and screwed it in to the vent hole up top. I ran it up to 15 PSI on my gauge, and let it sit. Now this was at about 9 am when I did this. It is now 8 pm, and it's down to about 13 PSI. I have seen people state that they filled it with air and had it go for 24 hours without any air loss. Is there any other place I need to check for the possible air loss. I am using my spray bottle with soapy water in it, and sprayed all the places that I would expect that air could escape. Not even sure, but is the 2 psi loss over 11 hours ok?

Chemdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Alpha One Outdrive Pressure Loss

I sprayed soapy water on all of that too, and it's not leaking at the tester.

However, I did find this link here:

http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/od-presure-test-524743.html

Reading what Don posted from Mercury seems to tell me it's not a race to see who can hold their breath the longest. It says 7-10 PSI for 5 min, and 15 PSI for 10 to 15 min. Well, I did all that, and turned the shaft, etc, and it held. So 11 hours at 15PSI, doesn't seem to be any real test.

I did not Vacume test it yet. But I am going to try that next to see how it does.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

did the outside temp get cooler as the day went on?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

12psi for 30 minutes. No pressure drop? Oil it up and go boating.... You won't see any shop testing for any longer than that....

Chris.........

Chemdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's what I'm talking about! However it's on the stand sitting till spring

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

That's what I'm talking about! However it's on the stand sitting till spring

I think you are good to go, Chemdawg. Time to find something else to obsess over for this coming winter. :tongue-new: