Buying a potential Mercruiser 470 ...slow to turn over ??

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I have a 1987 21 foot Renken that I bought recently, and I'm looking to replace the Mercruiser 470 4-cylinder engine that's in it. The manager of a local chemical shop, who is also a boat owner, recently removed an entire Mercruiser 470 170 HP from his boat that would be a perfect match for mine. He removed his 470 from his boat (a 60's model he recently bought) to put in an original model. I've been told that this 470 has been rebuilt and has low hours (but he doesn't know how low).

I went to the shop this morning to look at the engine, and one of the shop guys brought out a battery. I sprayed some lubricant down the spark plug holes. I removed #3 spark plug, hooked up my compression gauge and we hooked up a battery to the starter. We grounded it to a bolt on the exhaust manifold. The engine turned over very slow, and got up to about 45 PSI on the compression gauge (but at least it did turn over and is not locked up). Supposedly the battery was 13.5 volts (which may not mean much). We then removed the spark plugs completely from #2, #3 and #4 cylinders and hooked up the battery. It turned over a little faster, but still too slow than normal. The shop guy then plugged in a portable cart battery charger, hooked that up to the battery and then hooked the battery to the boat engine starter (with the 3 plugs out still). The engine still turned over slow. As it was turning over slow, I put my hand over #2, #3 and #4 spark plug holes and could feel air popping out. Good sign?

Anyway, I'm hesitating buying this engine. Overall, it appears to be in good shape, normal wear on the outside, and doesn't appear to have any leaks. The reason it turns over real slow, I'm thinking:

1. The battery is still not giving it enough juice (most likely).
2. The starter is starting to give out or there's something wrong with it (doesn't seem likely).
3. There's something wrong internally with the engine (may not be the case).

Thoughts? :confused:

mr 88

Commander
Re: Buying a potential Mercruiser 470 ...slow to turn over ??

Either take the battery out of your boat,if it is known to be good or buy/borrow a good one and start from there. Your probably going to have to buy a battery anyway if yours is bad and you are re-powering.Make sure none of the connections on the battery circuit are loose or corroded,the starter needs amps to turn not just 12 volts.

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply. It was actually a shop battery. . .and I believe he charged it up overnight.

thumpar

Admiral

What kind of cabling did you use to hook it up?

mr 88

Commander

Well then the next step is to become one with your starter,pull the one from your "new" donor motor and install on the updated version that you are after.I doubt the problem is in the internals.

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thumpar - thanks, that's what I was wondering about...and was thinking that was a major problem. We were using auto jumper cables, and they were getting hot.

thumpar

Admiral

Thumpar - thanks, that's what I was wondering about...and was thinking that was a major problem. We were using auto jumper cables, and they were getting hot.
That is probably it. I tried that on mine and could only get it to turn over maybe 1 time before it started doing the click.

fishrdan

Admiral

That's exactly it. If needed, but a couple battery cables to test it out.

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you Thumpar, and thanks Mr. 88 - the condition of the engine is my main concern. When I was able to get it up to 45-50 psi on my compression gauge on #3, it did hold pressure.

Bifflefan

Commander

I sprayed some lubricant down the spark plug holes.

FYI, adding oil or any kind lube sprayed in the cylinder will give you a biased higher compression reading than a dry cylinder.
That is the process for checking for bad rings. If you shoot in some oil and the compression goes up it's possibly bad rings.

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class

One minor worry I did have is that the motor has been sitting for 4-5 months without starting. That's really the reason I sprayed a little lube down the spark plug holes. Maybe I'm used to my Seadoo 2-cycle jet ski engine too much.

mr 88

Commander

If they are getting hot your starter motor is shot,it is drawing way too much and heating up your cables. That it is slowly turning over will impact your compression readings.Jumper cables are the same for marine and auto.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral

If they are getting hot your starter motor is shot,it is drawing way too much and heating up your cables. That it is slowly turning over that will impact your compression readings.Jumper cables are the same for marine and auto.

Not correct. Jumper cables are longer and don't have good contact like the regular cable would. I took the battery out of my boat. After I made sure it was charged (I keep it on a maintenance charger) I hooked up jumper cables to try to turn it over to drain the impeller. It would not even turn over on the normal starting battery with just jumper cables.

mr 88

Commander

Not hijacking the OP but jumper cables have a AWG rating,which is the thickness of the cables and in marine or auto and the length of the cables can be up to about 30' for either application. Thumper your battery is shot if you charge it all night and it wont turn your engine over after that.
Not correct. Jumper cables are longer and don't have good contact like the regular cable would. I took the battery out of my boat. After I made sure it was charged (I keep it on a maintenance charger) I hooked up jumper cables to try to turn it over to drain the impeller. It would not even turn over on the normal starting battery with just jumper cables.

thumpar

Admiral

Not hijacking the OP but jumper cables have a AWG rating,which is the thickness of the cables and in marine or auto and the length of the cables can be up to about 30' for either application. Thumper your battery is shot if you charge it all night and it wont turn your engine over after that.
Jumper cables don't clamp down like a battery cable normally would. I have 2 batteries. Length and surface area does mean a lot. I took college level electronics.

Jumper cables are meant to be used when a running vehicle jumps another vehicle. That would make the voltage more than battery voltage and be able to supply more amps. Ohms law.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

It is not unusual for a 470 starter to turn over slowly. They have a rather long armature shaft and sometimes they will bend and the armature will rub against the field coil, slowing down the starter and causing it to draw excessive current. So try another starter. Good luck.