Stern Drive question

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys,

Quick question. I replaced the water pump a few weeks ago and when I put the lower end back on, I messed up the linkage somehow and now won't go in to gear. I pretty much know what I did and how to fix it. My question is, I have to take the whole outdrive off to replace the Trim Switches, can I just redo the lower end with it off the boat, or does it need to be connected for some reason? Seems like it would be easier with it off, but want to make sure there isn't some adjustment or linkage I'll screw up doing it this way.

Thanks!!
Dave

1988 Mercrusier 3.0

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stern Drive question

Yes you can do it with it off the boat.When you separate the units again make sure you turn the shift splines on the lower clockwise and lock the prop ccw before mating them.On the upper unit make sure that the shift shaft points straight ahead which will be full forward gear. When you put the drive back on the boat make sure the remote is in forward gear. Pretty tough to replace the sender and limit switches without pulling the bell housing although I have read that it can be done.Watch the Achris water pump video in the adults only section.

Last edited:

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info. Yeah, not looking forward to replacing the sender and limit switch. I've watched a few video's on it. I got the splined looking tool to remove the bell housing bolts on the side. The only thing I din not get that I've seen in the video is the tool to hit in the Bellows ring after. I'm hoping I can get it in without it. We shall see.

thumpar

Admiral

You shouldn't have a Gen II drive being an 88 so you don't have the ring. It is hose clamps on both sides.