Engine Mount PROBLEMS!!

magic11305

Seaman
I am having a problem that maybe someone has dealt with in the past and can give me some advice. I am reinstalling my 5.7 Mercruiser in a Sea Ray 260. I am using new rear transom mount bushings and new bolt kits. While trying to install the engine the port side transom mount won’t set flush down on the transom plate mount. I have about an 1/8 inch gap where I can reach under and spin the fiber washer. The starboard side is sitting down nicely. I have pulled the engine up so that I could move it around and I have raised and lowered the front mounts. I also have torqued the mount bolts to 35lbs. It seems as if there is something holding the port side off of the transom plate but I spent the better part of the day trying to figure this out. I followed the directions on the mounting bolt sequence. If anyone has any thoughts…….I would greatly appreciate hearing them. Thanks
Alpha 1 drive

Rear%20mounts.jpg

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Engine Mount PROBLEMS!!

The mount does not sit down on the fibre washer. The fibre washer is only there as a buffer between the flywheel housing and the inner transom plate, so if they is a high torque on the engine the 2 metal (aluminium) parts don't come together... If you can spin the washer, it only means the glue holding it in place, while the engine is set on the inner transom plate, has let got....

Does the alignment tool go in nicely?

Chris.......

magic11305

Seaman

Thanks for the reply. I havn't attempted the alignment yet, I was concerned about the transom mount having that space. I assumed that the engine mount sat on the fiber washer, which had me concerned. I am going to do the alignment this weekend sometime and hopefully that will go easy.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

were the mounts serrated 9(new) or flat(old). If old check to make sure the doublewound washer is still in place.

magic11305

Seaman

I purchased new bolt kits, they are exactly like the old ones, double wound washers, fiber washer, spacer, and flat washer on top. I did check to make sure the double wound washer was still in place, it was the first thing I thought to check. It just seems that the port side has a little more space between the engine and transom plate mounts. I read on here some place that the bolts are to be torqued to 35 foot lbs. Is this correct? It does not seem to be much torque being what it is holding,

achris

More fish than mountain goat

That is correct. The nuts are aluminum, and will strip out if you over-torque them.

Bondo

Staff member

I purchased new bolt kits, they are exactly like the old ones, double wound washers, fiber washer, spacer, and flat washer on top. I did check to make sure the double wound washer was still in place, it was the first thing I thought to check. It just seems that the port side has a little more space between the engine and transom plate mounts. I read on here some place that the bolts are to be torqued to 35 foot lbs. Is this correct? It does not seem to be much torque being what it is holding,

Ayuh,.... The rubber mounts that are pressed into the flywheel cover, 'n into the transom plate, Can, 'n occasionally do Fail,...

That's possibly what yer seein',....

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

What about the possibility one of the front mount bottom nuts is too low and the engine tilting towards one side ? even with the rear mounts torqued it might not be enough to pull the engine back to level. Maybe if the hoist to lift front of engine was slightly off center lifting one side higher than other?

I would back out the rear mount bolts maybe 1/2 inch. Re-suspend the front of engine and look at how the bell housing mounts meet up with transom mating surface. Use a bar on the front mount, diagonal to high side, rear mount, and see if engine will lift on that front side to put the rear mounts even. Then torque rear mounts and proceed with engine alignment procedure.

Last edited:

magic11305

Seaman

Bondo, I pressed in new mounts into the flywheel cover and followed the install directions. I am trying to put as much new into this build as possable so I don't have to worry about things as much. Ed, I did suspend the engine again to try and level it out, but I suspended the whole engine. I will try suspending just the front a little to see if it makes a difference. I plan on doing this when I do the alignment to make it easier to adjust the front mount up or down. Thank you everyone for all the ideas, I value everyones opinion on this forum.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Lifting the whole engine would make it easier to get the engine cocked a bit. The method is to set th engine down on mounts, stick the rear mount bolts in their bolt holes and get them started on threads. Then using loop on thermostat housing, lift just the front, with rear mounts resting on mating surfaces. As I said above check how the rear mounts meet if still not meeting evenly try my suggestion. I would not torque rear mounts until they looked even spacing. Good luck.